Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most overrated band of all time?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Led Zep's not a bad call, actually. For all that they were great, (and they were) the level of worship bestowed upon them was, and is, just silly.
    Its a fair point, whilst also being rather unfair on the band. I mean, its your job to be great and hardly your fault if ****s go overboard about it.

One could level a very similar accusation at U2. In fact, I just did.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Its a fair point, whilst also being rather unfair on the band. I mean, its your job to be great and hardly your fault if ****s go overboard about it.

Oh certainly. But it's no reflection on a band to call them overrated. Overrating is the mistake made by others about the band, not the band's mistake.

Oh certainly. But it's no reflection on a band to call them overrated. Overrating is the mistake made by others about the band, not the band's mistake.
    I agree. Of course, a lot of the criticism Zeppelin get stems from their army of pompous, tosspot fans who like to tell people that virtually no other music matters BECAUSE of Zeppelin.

This does lead some people to suggest that Zeppelin were ****e when in fact they were not. I even had a chap tell me that Jimmy Page couldn't play the guitar. I mean, come on......

Because they are Irish?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Because they are Irish?
    To misquote the Pogues, 'for being Irish in the right place and at the right time'.....

I think U2 are ok, at times pretty good. I genuinely dont get the adoration at all. Same with the Foo Fighters- they sound like a house band in your local boozer.

Led Zep's not a bad call, actually. For all that they were great, (and they were) the level of worship bestowed upon them was, and is, just silly.
    I was surprised to learn the other day that they barely had any "hits." Stairway to Heaven and that's about it. That said, I'll firebomb your mosque if you criticize led zeppelin, you infidel dog.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    I was surprised to learn the other day that they barely had any "hits." Stairway to Heaven and that's about it. That said, I'll firebomb your mosque if you criticize led zeppelin, you infidel dog.

Refusing to release singles made having 'hits' rather difficult.

Refusing to release singles made having 'hits' rather difficult.
    Well you say potato and I say potaweto. They were not received in that way, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Easy. Lynyrd Skynyrd. Slightly better than average pub band - very silly name

Most overrated song of all time? Freebird.
    The Stones, clearly.

You can push your lack of respect for Ronnie right up your hole, h. Ronnie is a better person, dead, than your mum.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Easy. Lynyrd Skynyrd. Slightly better than average pub band - very silly name

Most overrated song of all time? Freebird.
    The Who. For all the hype and undoubted talent, they barely made enough good songs to fill a half-decent Greatest Hits album.