Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That is a seriously **** team. Awful full backs, dreadful midfield and a useless

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Yeah the 70s was awful, you are right. I mean you had to put up with the likes of Zeppelin, Purple, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Dylan, Leoanard Cohen, Neil Young, Aerosmith, Skynyrd, The Who, The Stones, all near the height of their powers. As if that wasn't bad enough you then had to put up with punk later in the decade.

Awful....just awful
    I'm not disagreeing with you (other than to point out the glaring omission of Bowie, of course, but I'll put that down to carelessness on your part), but I do have to point out that the Stones were well past their best in the 70s. Exile on Main St was - in point of fact - sh1te.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you (other than to point out the glaring omission of Bowie, of course, but I'll put that down to carelessness on your part), but I do have to point out that the Stones were well past their best in the 70s. Exile on Main St was - in point of fact - sh1te.
    Ok, Bowie should be in there. It wasnt an exhaustive list. I mean, I didnt even get to putin Wings or the Eagles

Exile onMain Street- and I want to be very clear about this, b- is not, in any way, ****. I simply will not have that, I'm sorry.

We are not far from 'formal apology' territory here....

Ok, Bowie should be in there. It wasnt an exhaustive list. I mean, I didnt even get to putin Wings or the Eagles

Exile onMain Street- and I want to be very clear about this, b- is not, in any way, ****. I simply will not have that, I'm sorry.

OK. I have perhaps negatively exaggerated. However, Exile on Main Street is yet another example of why double albums are a terrible, terrible idea. A strong single album ruined by being crammed with tedious filler to bulk it out to double status. This is the case for all double albums ever made.

OK. I have perhaps negatively exaggerated. However, Exile on Main Street is yet another example of why double albums are a terrible, terrible idea. A strong single album ruined by being crammed with tedious filler to bulk it out to double status. This is the case for all double albums ever made.

Definitely true. The River is a great example of that. A terrible double album that would have been one of his best as a single.

Definitely true. The River is a great example of that. A terrible double album that would have been one of his best as a single.
    There are no exceptions. This is an immutable rule of popular music. Use Your Illusion, Sign O' The Times, Songs In The Key Of Life, Physical Graffiti, Blonde on Blonde, The White Album - it applies to all of them.
    Last edited by Burney; 03-09-2018 at 12:32 PM.

There are no exceptions. This is an immutable rule of popular music. Appetite for Destruction, Sign O' The Times, Songs In The Key Of Life, Physical Graffiti, Blonde on Blonde, The White Album - it applies to all of them.
    Appetite for Destruction was a brilliant single album. You are thinking of Use Your Illusion which was not only a double album but Two double albums split in two and released on the same day.

Physical Graffiti is very good for a double album and probably comes closest to making it work.

Appetite for Destruction was a brilliant single album. You are thinking of Use Your Illusion which was not only a double album but Two double albums split in two and released on the same day.

Physical Graffiti is very good for a double album and probably comes closest to making it work.
    Sorry, yes. I realised my mistake and edited it. Disagree on PG. It was very much their swansong in every sense.

There are no exceptions. This is an immutable rule of popular music. Use Your Illusion, Sign O' The Times, Songs In The Key Of Life, Physical Graffiti, Blonde on Blonde, The White Album - it applies to all of them.
    22 Dreams is a stonewall classic.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    22 Dreams is a stonewall classic.
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

Well said, Peter. The bit about Exile anyway, the 70s was still packed with guitar soloing nonsense that made my ears ring.

Tumbling Dice remains one of the greatest Stones songs and without question one of the all time great guitar lines. From Sweet Virginia to Shine a Light to Ventilator Blues to...I could go no and on.

Add this to a love of the Smiths and I'm afraid I have no option but to conclude that Burney knows as much about music as he does about burgers.