Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So no more F1 Grid Girls and no scantily clad, fit birds leading the darts chaps out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I'm assuming the golf bird on Sky, Sarah Stirk, will no longer be presenting or at the very least will change her wardrobe considerably. Perhaps a nice Burkha will suffice.
    Well let's ask ourselves about Sky Sports' hiring practices vis-a-vis female presenters, shall we? It's obviously pure coincidence that they all happen to look a certain way, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Yes, Beverley Turner (former F1 presenter) was on the radio yesterday and was asked about the fact that these women are doing these jobs entirely voluntarily, to which she replied "some women don't know when they are being exploited"

Quite incredible.
    The hypocrisy is stunning. Not least because Beverley Turner is a former model, ffs! She has traded on her looks to get where she is, but dares to disapprove of other women doing the same. Let's face it, there is absolutely zero chance she'd have got that F1 gig if she'd looked like Clare Balding.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    This masquerades as identity politics, but like so much identity politics it is in fact as much about class.

Middle class men and women are dictating to working class women the ways in which they should be allowed to earn money. They are not regarded as having agency or sufficient 'education' to make such decisions for themselves, so their 'betters' are deciding for them.

It is deeply, deeply nasty.
    You old class warrior, you. Good on yer, B!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    You old class warrior, you. Good on yer, B!
    I see no conflict between being a conservative and objecting to the high-handed, 'we know best' snobbery of the bien pensant left, p.

I see no conflict between being a conservative and objecting to the high-handed, 'we know best' snobbery of the bien pensant left, p.
    While on the whole I agree with you and F1 was fine, but the whole darts thing was very creepy though - particularly when Phil "The Power" Tailor was involved

Voting Tory and being a conservative ain't the same thing though. That's the real trouble.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Oh certainly not. Of course, some would say that viewing these sorts of things through class makes one something of a Marxist, in form or another.

Not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Oh certainly not. Of course, some would say that viewing these sorts of things through class makes one something of a Marxist, in form or another.

Not me.
    It is a view that a Marxist should agree with though. Understanding the world in terms of the relationship between social classes is what Historical Materialism is about, after all.

And yes, this is a case of a bien pensent middle class dictating to a lower class. Funnily enough, this is something that the 'right' (be they real conservatives or mere Tory-voters) is often better at spotting these days than the fake left, who have absolutely no clue about class any more, or any self-awareness about their new role as loyal and fervant supporters of the establishment, ruling class.

In short, when I were a nipper the 'right' were in charge and the 'left' were the rebels. Now it looks more the other way round imo.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Why does someone always have to ruin the fun nowadays?

Well it does make you think that any TV programme that show men or women in few clothes will be next...8 out of 10 cats doing countdown has men in pants every show.

WWE Wresting must be concerned imo
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Well it does make you think that any TV programme that show men or women in few clothes will be next...8 out of 10 cats doing countdown has men in pants every show.

WWE Wresting must be concerned imo
    This is considered whataboutery, at best, since the prevailing societal problem is men's exploitation of women, not women's exploitation of men.