Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Monty's mum when she found out her grandson would be going to a CofE school

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Its not a faith school, its Church Of England. God is barely even an optional extra in the CofE these days.
    Well they're enough of a faith to be filthy heretics bound for the lowest pits of hell, p.

Dirty, protestant bāstards.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well they're enough of a faith to be filthy heretics bound for the lowest pits of hell, p.

Didn't you go to a CofE school, b? I mean, I did as well - at least it meant I could opt out of assemblies in sixth form as they had a religious element

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Didn't you go to a CofE school, b? I mean, I did as well - at least it meant I could opt out of assemblies in sixth form as they had a religious element
    Why would you want to opt out of assemblies? Surely everyone loves a good sing-song, don't they?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Why would you want to opt out of assemblies? Surely everyone loves a good sing-song, don't they?
    The only decent one I can remember is when the headmaster read out the cricket score from India as both Gatting and Fowler had scored double centuries

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I went to a public school founded by a post-reformation Archbishop of Canterbury whose religious observances - such as they were - were high-church Anglican, but it wasn't a C of E school as such.

And I loved assemblies. All the masters in gowns and, lots of hymn singing and the music master thumping away sweatily at his mighty organ - marvellous!

I still find myself singing C of E hymns. So much better than all those dreary Catholic ones.

I went to a public school founded by a post-reformation Archbishop of Canterbury whose religious observances - such as they were - were high-church Anglican, but it wasn't a C of E school as such.

And I loved assemblies. All the masters in gowns and, lots of hymn singing and the music master thumping away sweatily at his mighty organ - marvellous!

I still find myself singing C of E hymns. So much better than all those dreary Catholic ones.

We had those assemblies in my first year at school but then they banned hymns. We sang the school song twice a year but otherwise, nothing!

Most people seemed to be in agreement that hymns had been banned 'cos of the jews'......

Shame. We had a wonderful organ.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    We had those assemblies in my first year at school but then they banned hymns. We sang the school song twice a year but otherwise, nothing!

Most people seemed to be in agreement that hymns had been banned 'cos of the jews'......

Shame. We had a wonderful organ.....
    The school song?

Go on, humour me.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    The school song?

Go on, humour me.
    I dont remember it, other than it was pretty ****.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    The school song?

Go on, humour me.
    I’ll give you mine, sw.

‘Adeste laetis animis
    Adeste seniores
    Nunc est laudatus dominus
    Laudate seniores’

Hear, hear!