Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Final remaining member of Motorhead 'Fast' Eddie Clarke has died.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    I love Jorge and miss him a great deal but his loathing of the Fabs was always puzzling to me. In '62 Britain was still in the grip of grey, post-war torpor and our voice was essentially that of the carping, nagging, middle class tones of the Pathe news men.

That four working class blokes from the industrial north should have initiated such seismic and global cultural change should delight a man of Jorge's persuasion. Our Empire was finished so the Mop Tops effectively replaced it with a much more far reaching empire of the mind.

To disparage the Beatles in one breath and then laud and applaud a barber shop quartet like the Beach Boys beggars belief.
    He was of the rather silly school who think that Lennon was cool and great because he was 'edgy' and dead, while McCartney was hopelessly uncool because he wrote a great melody and was alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    He was of the rather silly school who think that Lennon was cool and great because he was 'edgy' and dead, while McCartney was hopelessly uncool because he wrote a great melody and was alive.
    And yet it was McCartney who wrote Give Ireland Back To The Irish, and Lady Madonna, an anti Catholic polemic. Fool on the Hill, a poignant study of alienation. I think McCartney was the superior writer in addition to being the superior tunesmith

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    And yet it was McCartney who wrote Give Ireland Back To The Irish, and Lady Madonna, an anti Catholic polemic. Fool on the Hill, a poignant study of alienation. I think McCartney was the superior writer in addition to being the superior tunesmith
    The less said about 'Give Ireland Back To The Irish' the better, h.

Anyway, I think trying to judge who was better is unhelpful, really. They were complementary.