Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: What's impressive about England's performance in The Ashes so far is the way they

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    How can a side that has managed 400 from the first innings not be favourites (or at very least not nailed on to draw).

Apologies for the probable stupidity or naivety of the question.
    Think Arsenal, sw. You know how we manage to dominate games by having over 70% possession and peppering the opponents goal with 20 plus shots per game ?

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Think Arsenal, sw. You know how we manage to dominate games by having over 70% possession and peppering the opponents goal with 20 plus shots per game ?
    I was always a staunch conscientious objector to the nonsense of how we used to dominate but lose games, arguing about the futility of possession stats when failing to ultimately capitalise and make it count.

It was often used after valiant European defeat when the opposing team knew they had probably done enough in the first leg and didn’t need to force the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I was always a staunch conscientious objector to the nonsense of how we used to dominate but lose games, arguing about the futility of possession stats when failing to ultimately capitalise and make it count.

It was often used after valiant European defeat when the opposing team knew they had probably done enough in the first leg and didn’t need to force the issue.
    It always seemed to me to be based on the misapprehension that football is a game like rugby where possession is the be-all and end-all. It blatantly isn't. Counter-attacking is a time-honoured and legitimate tactic and - because football only has one means of scoring - the idea that you can almost attritionally grind opposition teams down by virtue of possession alone is fundamentally flawed.

Indeed. If league position was assessed by any other measure than the end result, City would be looking cautiously over their shoulder at us.