Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discussing my drinking habits with my doctor:

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Two glasses of wine per night (ahem) equates to 42 units per week.

The maximum recommended is 14 units. I should reduce my intake to this level.

Doctors, eh?
    I now have three drink free evenings per week. It's actually easier than you think.

Doctors, eh?
    I've consumed more than 14 units in lunch hour, ffs! These units are utterly arbitrary and largely meaningless, of course.

In fact, they're widely considered to be counter-productive as, since nobody believes in them or takes them seriously, they actually discredit and undermine more sensible and realistic attempts by the medical profession to curb excessive drinking.

But of course doctors can't allow themselves to be seen as anything but finger-wagging puritans.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I've consumed more than 14 units in lunch hour, ffs! These units are utterly arbitrary and largely meaningless, of course.

In fact, they're widely considered to be counter-productive as, since nobody believes in them or takes them seriously, they actually discredit and undermine more sensible and realistic attempts by the medical profession to curb excessive drinking.

But of course doctors can't allow themselves to be seen as anything but finger-wagging puritans.
    Millions off self-respecting French peasants who knock off a litre and a half of rough red per day must all die at 40 years old.

Oh.

Doctors, eh?
    I think I told you this before. I had tests and the doctor (not my GP) called me as she was very alarmed at the results of the Liver Function tests, the results being not dis similar to a person with a drink problem.

Anyhow after discussions about the previous week / weekend etc. I simply told her she was wrong and we agreed to re-do the tests after a settling down period.

Guess who was vindicated?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I think I told you this before. I had tests and the doctor (not my GP) called me as she was very alarmed at the results of the Liver Function tests, the results being not dis similar to a person with a drink problem.

Anyhow after discussions about the previous week / weekend etc. I simply told her she was wrong and we agreed to re-do the tests after a settling down period.

Guess who was vindicated?
    Tell me more about this 'settling down period'.

You quit the sauce, didn't you?

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure in 2003, it was 150/90. They sent me away for 3 weeks and told me to be healthy, relax and come back.

I cut out coffee altogether, reduced my alcohol (although not massively), generally ate better and changed my workouts to be more cardio oriented.

3 weeks later it was 118/78 and they told me to go home and be happy.

Last time it was checked I think it was similar to yours 135/85 or so which isn't bad for people our age I think.

Not at all, I simply re-tested about 5 months later when life was normal and alcohol consumption had leveled off.

My initial test was in the first or second week of January so I had the Xmas booze volumes to contend with.

I have never quit the sauce since I began.