Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: This Harvey Weinstein fellow; he's clearly something of a knob.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    It would at least be fair and consistent. And I still wouldn't care. Hollywood doesnt purport to be a fair, just, diverse and inclusive environment or a meritocratic industry. Quite how one vacuous celebrity comes to receive more attention than another is of literally no interest to me.

The funny thing is they will never get round to going after the music industry because the young girls blowing the rock bands were not being promised anything in return. Its fine to treat them like **** and tell them to **** off afterwards but if you promise them anything in return its suddenly coercion/abuse of power/rape. If you think about it, that is a bit ****ed up.
    That depends on what you offer them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Fúcking hell, now his wife's left him! There's loyalty.
    Well I somehow doubt it was his charm, good looks or sweet personality she was hanging around for. Now he's on the ground and toxic, she can name her figure in the divorce proceedings (or else I'll wash even more dirty laundry in public) and off she will jolly well fvck.

At this level of wealth and celebrity, absolutely everything is a commodity. There is no decency anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Erm, the groupies didn't expect to get married to their targets. They just fancied the socks of them and wanted some fun. No comparison at all, as long as they're old enough.

And not promising anything is precisely the point. It makes it merely consensual sex and not an abuse of power.
    Because consensual sex can never involve an abuse of power?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Because consensual sex can never involve an abuse of power?
    It can do, but shouldn't automatically be assumed. It treats grown women (and I am talking about adults here) as children to deny them their agency and ability to consent.

Totally different from promising a career in exchange for sex.

It can do, but shouldn't automatically be assumed. It treats grown women (and I am talking about adults here) as children to deny them their agency and ability to consent.

But surely such a transactional arrangement falls entirely within the boundaries of agency and consent you outline? Each party has something the other wants and an exchange is made - where’s the problem?

Erm, the groupies didn't expect to get married to their targets. They just fancied the socks of them and wanted some fun. No comparison at all, as long as they're old enough.

And not promising anything is precisely the point. It makes it merely consensual sex and not an abuse of power.
    Right, but one important point was that in a lot of cases they were NOT old enough.

I accept the abuse of power is largely predicated on the notion of quid pro quo (not that I am suggesting that The Quo got up to any of this stuff) but my general point is that much of this is around perception rather than law. Treating a 16 year old girl like **** while she blows a band she idolises is pretty reprehensible behaviour. Rock seems to have some form of immunity from our collective frowns....

She was worth about £15 million before she married him, to be fair to the lass

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well I somehow doubt it was his charm, good looks or sweet personality she was hanging around for. Now he's on the ground and toxic, she can name her figure in the divorce proceedings (or else I'll wash even more dirty laundry in public) and off she will jolly well fvck.

At this level of wealth and celebrity, absolutely everything is a commodity. There is no decency anywhere.
    ddddddddddd

Its a bit of a leap to assume these girls were happy to do all of the things they were asked to. What about the many, many stories of what they were sometimes asked to do just to get backstage and hang with the band? I doubt many were that desperate to blow the road crew.

The transaction relates to getting to hang with the band backstage as long as you are prepared to offer whatever sexual treats were demanded.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    ddddddddddd
    Fair enough. Then she liked the power and influence being married to him brought. Association with him no longer has any benefits, so she bails.
    After all, it’s not like we’re pretending she didn’t know, are we?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I would have thought he could drag the rest of Hollywood down with him. The threat of that is normally enough to put something like this to bed, as long as you threaten before it goes public.
    Down where though? It's Hollywood
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."