Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: This is a breathtaking example of lefty irresponsibility, fed by slobs who refuse

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Now I am actually quite puritanical about gambling on a personal level. I think that, of the vices, it is one of the least forgivable.
    Why is this, in your opinion? Gambling is a vice that I have managed to avoid, having no interest in it, but I don't understand why I am not interested in it, given it's evident popularity, and my enthusiasm at various points for drinking, smoking and drugging. Perhaps I just go for chemical stimulants, rather than the exciting prospect of losing a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Why is this, in your opinion? Gambling is a vice that I have managed to avoid, having no interest in it, but I don't understand why I am not interested in it, given it's evident popularity, and my enthusiasm at various points for drinking, smoking and drugging. Perhaps I just go for chemical stimulants, rather than the exciting prospect of losing a lot of money.
    I think perhaps it's that I can't understand the buzz. With all the chemical vices, I can at least get how the outlay/reward dynamic works. You're getting something for your money. Gambling just seems a bit abstract to me. To me it seems like giving someone the money for a couple of grammes of coke and there only being a slim chance he's actually going to give it to you.

Like I say, I don't understand the high.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think perhaps it's that I can't understand the buzz. With all the chemical vices, I can at least get how the outlay/reward dynamic works. You're getting something for your money. Gambling just seems a bit abstract to me. To me it seems like giving someone the money for a couple of grammes of coke and there only being a slim chance he's actually going to give it to you.

Like I say, I don't understand the high.
    The high isn't the money. Its the achievement of being right, beating the odds, having the balls to back your judgement. I guess you dont understand that because you dont need gambling to convince you that you are always right- you just know it

Hence I can understand betting on the horses, blackjack, poker. I cant understand fruit machines or games of pure chance.