Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So the daughter got her A-Level results today (all fine, thanks for asking) and it

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    It's ok, though. If she can't land a job as a google developer after that it'll be the patriarchy's fault so she might be in line for some compensation.
    To be fair to her, she's reasonably level-headed about it. She tries to appease me by saying that industries like drama graduates, as they know how to present themselves, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    To be fair to her, she's reasonably level-headed about it. She tries to appease me by saying that industries like drama graduates, as they know how to present themselves, etc, etc.
    Possibly something in that. A colleague of mine did drama. She has excellent 'people skills', for want of a better description, and works well with everyone. Started as a receptionist and now heads a department. This may have more to do with her as an individual rather than her choice of degree but sometimes we have to act roles rather than be ourselves.

Very good. Yes, my daughter will be studying plays for three years.

You'd almost think she's doing it deliberately to annoy me, wouldn't you?
    She should aim to become a newsreader imo. Or a Hollywood actress.
    What does she want to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Norn Iron View Post
    She should aim to become a newsreader imo. Or a Hollywood actress.
    What does she want to be?
    Fùck alone knows. I'm not sure I trust people who know what they want to be at 18, though.

I remember this day well, phoning the school from the pay phone in the Ship Bar in Warrenpoint to be told I had achieved 1 grade A, 1 grade C and 1 grade F. Realising then that I had not enough points or whatever for my chosen course and wondering how my future would pan out.

A few carefully placed phone calls on my behalf and I was into University quicker than you could say “what a fúcking waste of time that is going to be”.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I remember this day well, phoning the school from the pay phone in the Ship Bar in Warrenpoint to be told I had achieved 1 grade A, 1 grade C and 1 grade F. Realising then that I had not enough points or whatever for my chosen course and wondering how my future would pan out.

A few carefully placed phone calls on my behalf and I was into University quicker than you could say “what a fúcking waste of time that is going to be”.
    May I ask what the F was in, sw?

struck me that they way they do it now is unnecessarily cruel. First of all, you can find out from UCAS online if you've been accepted into the University of your choice at half six in the morning. That's fine if you've done well, of course, but if not, you've got to go into school to collect your results in front of all your happy mates and then spend hours ringing round the 'University' of South Rutland, etc trying to get a place.

Surely the whole thing can now be done online to avoid all this crap?
    The whole system is rubbish school/college let me down

I never learned to read or write so well But I can play a guitar just like ringing a bell.

Congratulation !
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

struck me that they way they do it now is unnecessarily cruel. First of all, you can find out from UCAS online if you've been accepted into the University of your choice at half six in the morning. That's fine if you've done well, of course, but if not, you've got to go into school to collect your results in front of all your happy mates and then spend hours ringing round the 'University' of South Rutland, etc trying to get a place.

Surely the whole thing can now be done online to avoid all this crap?
    I didn't even bother collecting mine. Didn't bother going to my graduation either