Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's a fraction over 2 weeks until the transfer window slams shut. So far we have

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'm fine with finishing between 4th and 7th with the occasional cup run. It's the failure to challenge for any sustained period that is frustrating. I think if Arsene bought in 2/3 £50million players in the next two weeks, we'd be able to give it a good shot. Instead we will end up with a front three of Rhys Nelson, Giroud and Theo at some stage this season. Inspiring stuff.

Central midfield seems OK - We have Ramsey and Xhaka, we have Wilshere who played for the yoofs the other day. We have Elneney and Coqulein. We have Maitland Niles. We have Santi Cazorla who is going on cross trainers again. So this area is positive.
    Wilshere is a complete and utter waste of space. If he does end up hobbling on to the pitch for us at some stage this season he will utter dog****. Even Arsene seems to have more of less given up with him. I watched him a few times last season for Bournemouth and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. He plays like he is 37.

Cazorla is obviously a wonderful player but the chances of him coming back and staying fit look very, very remote. If he did, midfield would be sorted.

Ramsey is just Ramsey- frustrating, sometimes menacingly idiotic, sometimes surprisingly good. But never reliable, and an injury is always just around the corner.

Elneny and Coquelin are quite reliable but limited. Neither is an ideal partner for Xhaka.

We know how all of this ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Wilshere is a complete and utter waste of space. If he does end up hobbling on to the pitch for us at some stage this season he will utter dog****. Even Arsene seems to have more of less given up with him. I watched him a few times last season for Bournemouth and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. He plays like he is 37.

Cazorla is obviously a wonderful player but the chances of him coming back and staying fit look very, very remote. If he did, midfield would be sorted.

Ramsey is just Ramsey- frustrating, sometimes menacingly idiotic, sometimes surprisingly good. But never reliable, and an injury is always just around the corner.

Elneny and Coquelin are quite reliable but limited. Neither is an ideal partner for Xhaka.

We know how all of this ends.
    Wilshere was Bournemouth's most creative midfielder last year. He made so many goals for the team and hit the woodwork 6 times (more than any midfielder in the league). He suffered when Howe went 4-4-2 as he was usually the luxury player within a central midfield 3. If he can stay fit then he's a sublime addition to the squad and will indeed feel like a new signing.

Agree on your other points. We should just give Nice £36million for Seri and be done with it. Though he said that he struggles to train in countries that are cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Wilshere was Bournemouth's most creative midfielder last year. He made so many goals for the team and hit the woodwork 6 times (more than any midfielder in the league). He suffered when Howe went 4-4-2 as he was usually the luxury player within a central midfield 3. If he can stay fit then he's a sublime addition to the squad and will indeed feel like a new signing.

Agree on your other points. We should just give Nice £36million for Seri and be done with it. Though he said that he struggles to train in countries that are cold.
    I feel bad for Jack but I just don't think that player he was is still in there. There was one spark a couple of years ago. He came on as a sub late in the season, after a long lay off, and looked sharp, with that little change of pace back in his game. Briefly I thought there was hope.

Would love to see him back and firing but it just isn’t going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I feel bad for Jack but I just don't think that player he was is still in there. There was one spark a couple of years ago. He came on as a sub late in the season, after a long lay off, and looked sharp, with that little change of pace back in his game. Briefly I thought there was hope.

Would love to see him back and firing but it just isn’t going to happen.
    The 'player he was' was an occasional contributor who had one decent game in three and then got himself injured, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The 'player he was' was an occasional contributor who had one decent game in three and then got himself injured, though.
    Wilshere's different though, a rather exceptional case as he's the kind of central midfielder England simply doesn't produce. Now we know why, I guess
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Wilshere's different though, a rather exceptional case as he's the kind of central midfielder England simply doesn't produce. Now we know why, I guess
    I appreciate that, but that still made him a pale imitation of the type of player we could quite easily purchase from other countries. His being English never endeared him to me at all - quite the reverse, if anything, since he had a full set of all the negative English footballing traits of indiscipline, stupidity and a tendency to think 'putting your foot in' was a virtue even when it meant you kept getting crocked.

I appreciate that, but that still made him a pale imitation of the type of player we could quite easily purchase from other countries. His being English never endeared him to me at all - quite the reverse, if anything, since he had a full set of all the negative English footballing traits of indiscipline, stupidity and a tendency to think 'putting your foot in' was a virtue even when it meant you kept getting crocked.
    That's a Wenger issue; a British manager would've binned young Jackie Boy ages ago. Either that or he'd have refused to pick him until he had turned himself into a David Batty or a Billy Bremner. Maybe even a Dennis Wise.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

he did the odd fancy pass and stuck his tongue out and usually ended up on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    he did the odd fancy pass and stuck his tongue out and usually ended up on the floor.
    A bit like your mum
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Oh, you just don't like him because he's English.