Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Labour's attempts to differentiate their position on Brexit and specifically

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Possibly. But I still think an awful lot of Leave voters assumed that a hard Brexit would never happened. Had the referendum made it clear that they were voting to have no access to the common market, no longer be part of the customs union, no longer have a financial passport and that that would be the case from the first day of Brexit with no guarantee of any free trade agreement at that time, I think the vote might have been different.
    You remember last year, right? You remember how Project Fear kept saying all of those things over and over and over again? And you remember how the British public STILL voted to Leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You remember last year, right? You remember how Project Fear kept saying all of those things over and over and over again? And you remember how the British public STILL voted to Leave?
    They also said we could end up in another war

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    They also said we could end up in another war
    Now that I'm well up for. I'm now old enough not to get called up and only have a daughter, so I'm very happy to wave the lads off to go and give various frogs, wops, dagoes, spics and krauts a damn good thrashing.

Disappointingly, I found I ran out of insulting epithets for our European brethren rather quickly there.

Now that I'm well up for. I'm now old enough not to get called up and only have a daughter, so I'm very happy to wave the lads off to go and give various frogs, wops, dagoes, spics and krauts a damn good thrashing.

Disappointingly, I found I ran out of insulting epithets for our European brethren rather quickly there.
    Bogtrotters to the west, bogwogs to the east. Also 'Belgian' is surely an insulting term on its own?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Bogtrotters to the west, bogwogs to the east. Also 'Belgian' is surely an insulting term on its own?
    Oh, I don't count the Irish and I bear no animus against the Dutch, really. I do think it's odd that we haven't come up with something more cutting for the Belgians, though. I suppose their sheer insignificance has protected them.

I don't think they did give that message, it was just a general doom n gloom pitch about how terrible things might become. But I think rather a lot of people listened to that message and didn't really believe it, they thought that ultimately a reasonable exit would be negotiated.

Had the terms of the referendum been clearly defined as hard Brexit we would have avoided that ambiguity and not had as much uncertainty as we do now.