Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: So it turns out that eating raw fish might not have been such a good idea after all

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The problem with sushi is that you get a wee bit of fish and a shedload of rice. For sushi I care little.

Sashimi, good sashimi, is an entirely different beast. Sashimi is the good shít.
    But it is nonetheless fair to say that in general, raw, non-oily fish has at best a delicate flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    But it is nonetheless fair to say that in general, raw, non-oily fish has at best a delicate flavour.
    You say, 'delicate flavour' as if that's a bad thing. There is a time and a place for big punchy flavours, and a time for delicacy, is there not? We aren't operating single note palates, surely?

You say, 'delicate flavour' as if that's a bad thing. There is a time and a place for big punchy flavours, and a time for delicacy, is there not? We aren't operating single note palates, surely?
    Well, no. But - and here's the key thing for me - would that delicate flavour not be better served by being lightly fried and served with a beurre noisette? In other words, is raw fish as good as cooked fish? For me, the answer is no.

Well, no. But - and here's the key thing for me - would that delicate flavour not be better served by being lightly fried and served with a beurre noisette? In other words, is raw fish as good as cooked fish? For me, the answer is no.
    That depends entirely on the fish. A plump Dover Sole? Get in the pan. A rigor mortis-fresh seabass? Sounds like ceviche material to me. A fatty lump of tuna? Sashimi, sashimi, sashimi.

That depends entirely on the fish. A plump Dover Sole? Get in the pan. A rigor mortis-fresh seabass? Sounds like ceviche material to me. A fatty lump of tuna? Sashimi, sashimi, sashimi.
    Yes. I'd make an exception for oily fish, I think. But even there, is one not depriving oneself of the flavour of the searing by eating it raw? The jury is out for me.

Yes. I'd make an exception for oily fish, I think. But even there, is one not depriving oneself of the flavour of the searing by eating it raw? The jury is out for me.
    I hope you don't feel that way about meat? Your mince in a bun for supper might not hit the spot

I hope you don't feel that way about meat? Your mince in a bun for supper might not hit the spot

I think I've worked out what your treat for g is, btw.