Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HRH the DoE retiring from public engagements.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    Do you have to be a lefty to not particularly like the Royals or is that part of the definition of being a lefty?
    I think it helps with the definition of Lefty but not particularly true.

I have no particular allegiance to any party but think the royal family are nothing but an anachronistic bunch of parasites.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    I think it helps with the definition of Lefty but not particularly true.

I have no particular allegiance to any party but think the royal family are nothing but an anachronistic bunch of parasites.
    A parasite is something which lives off another organism without giving anything back. It's impossible to justify applying that definition to the Royal family. The anachronism thing is entirely subjective. They are only an anachronism if you choose to see them as such.

I struggle to see the symbiotic nature of the royals and the public. They live in a big ****ing house in a prime bit of London, which is merely one of their properties, paid for by the public of which some get to wave at them occasionally.

I suppose tourists do wander around Green Park waiting for some very expensive military ceremony to take place on the royal's ****ing doorstep, but other than that . . .

I'm afraid we'll have to disagree on this one, b.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

I struggle to see the symbiotic nature of the royals and the public. They live in a big ****ing house in a prime bit of London, which is merely one of their properties, paid for by the public of which some get to wave at them occasionally.

I suppose tourists do wander around Green Park waiting for some very expensive military ceremony to take place on the royal's ****ing doorstep, but other than that . . .

You realise that Her Majesty, anointed by God, is our Monarch, defender of the faith, and Empress of India? Do you think the British Empire rules two thirds of the world by accident?

Yet despite all this, the remain enduringly popular. With the public
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    Do you have to be a lefty to not particularly like the Royals or is that part of the definition of being a lefty?
    Not at all, but as a rule of thumb, not all anti-royalists are lefties, but all lefties are anti-royalists.

It's disastrous from a Labour point of view, of course. There are an awful lot of what were once Labour supporters are repelled by that sort of reflexive anti-royalist, anti-patriotic sentiment. Still, if lefties knew or cared what real people thought, they wouldn't be lefties.