Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: HRH the DoE retiring from public engagements.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. You can't really get to the pitch properly with a crook knee and can end up hitting on the up through the line, which is risky if the ball deviates even slightly.
    Its psychological as well. Even when you do reach the pitch you tend to reach it late which throws the arms out of timing with the head and body. You are also reluctant to throw all your weight onto the front knee which means you don't get properly over the ball. I felt like I was striking the ball in front of me rather than under the eyes. I started punching down the ground rather than the full drive and where is the beauty in that.

Defensive strokes are ok on fuller deliveries but there is a temptation to reach a bit where you don't get to the pitch. That I could handle because I always had a great leave, but it certainly made it harder to judge.

Turning for the second run was no picnic either.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Turning for the second run was no picnic either.
    That's what boundaries are for, P

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    That's what boundaries are for, P
    They are harder to reach when you cant drive properly. I started to rely on runs shovelled through the on side. I am still ashamed to admit it.....

Still, its not as if I was the biggest hitter or the fastest scorer to begin with. It was a bit like Per losing a yard of pace

It was a bit like Per losing a yard of pace
    Explain, please. I *think* I know what you mean but ..
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Explain, please. I *think* I know what you mean but ..
    The weakening of something that has never been your strength.

The weakening of something that has never been your strength.
    Right. Got it.

However, I would just say that just because it may be acceptable that a particular trait has never been a strength, it is a different matter entirely if it actually becomes a weakness.

Or as my son put it the other day, a slow footballer should *never* be found wanting for pace #premierleague
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

They are harder to reach when you cant drive properly. I started to rely on runs shovelled through the on side. I am still ashamed to admit it.....

Still, its not as if I was the biggest hitter or the fastest scorer to begin with. It was a bit like Per losing a yard of pace
    I certainly hit in the air far more as I got older and the pitch of the ball got that bit further away. Of course I compensated by purchasing a rather expensive and heavy bat that meant I always had a good chance of a/ getting it over the in-field and b/ reaching the boundary.

The really depressing thing was last season when I found that my ability to pick up the length of the ball had slowed to alarming proportions and I was constantly finding myself neither back nor forward.

Time to stop anything resembling serious cricket, I fear.