Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HRH the DoE retiring from public engagements.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    A war hero who has selflessly served this country for the thick end of 80 years. We will never see his like again.

I will personally fight any lefty who wishes to besmirch his reputation.

Do you have to be a lefty to not particularly like the Royals or is that part of the definition of being a lefty?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    Do you have to be a lefty to not particularly like the Royals or is that part of the definition of being a lefty?
    I think it helps with the definition of Lefty but not particularly true.

I have no particular allegiance to any party but think the royal family are nothing but an anachronistic bunch of parasites.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    I think it helps with the definition of Lefty but not particularly true.

I have no particular allegiance to any party but think the royal family are nothing but an anachronistic bunch of parasites.
    A parasite is something which lives off another organism without giving anything back. It's impossible to justify applying that definition to the Royal family. The anachronism thing is entirely subjective. They are only an anachronism if you choose to see them as such.

I struggle to see the symbiotic nature of the royals and the public. They live in a big ****ing house in a prime bit of London, which is merely one of their properties, paid for by the public of which some get to wave at them occasionally.

I suppose tourists do wander around Green Park waiting for some very expensive military ceremony to take place on the royal's ****ing doorstep, but other than that . . .

I'm afraid we'll have to disagree on this one, b.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

I struggle to see the symbiotic nature of the royals and the public. They live in a big ****ing house in a prime bit of London, which is merely one of their properties, paid for by the public of which some get to wave at them occasionally.

I suppose tourists do wander around Green Park waiting for some very expensive military ceremony to take place on the royal's ****ing doorstep, but other than that . . .

You realise that Her Majesty, anointed by God, is our Monarch, defender of the faith, and Empress of India? Do you think the British Empire rules two thirds of the world by accident?

Yet despite all this, the remain enduringly popular. With the public
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    That might be tested when the new fella eventually gets to the crease. Unless by then he has been coached to avoid the silly stuff and play with a straight bat, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    That might be tested when the new fella eventually gets to the crease. Unless by then he has been coached to avoid the silly stuff and play with a straight bat, of course.
    Sure, but they've seen worse. And that's actually the point; their enduring appeal is a reminder that our society is an ancient, strong and dignified one and was *not* focus-grouped and spin-doctored into existence yesterday by Wolverhampton Polytechnic political science undergraduates.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I have never seen the point of them, but then again I am not “the public” you refer to.

While I get that you have a King and Queen, and a next in line, it is all the other useless saps that I see referred to that I don’t get.

Your Andrews and the other lad, the bints they marry who become some titled so and so, their offspring who I expect are hideous characters. Harry is another one, not sure why anybody gives a flying **** about these people.

And I expect they are mostly all propped up by your taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I have never seen the point of them, but then again I am not “the public” you refer to.

While I get that you have a King and Queen, and a next in line, it is all the other useless saps that I see referred to that I don’t get.

Your Andrews and the other lad, the bints they marry who become some titled so and so, their offspring who I expect are hideous characters. Harry is another one, not sure why anybody gives a flying **** about these people.

And I expect they are mostly all propped up by your taxes?
    Supposedly you need a bloated squad beyond the obvious heir and spare, to maintain the mystique of it all from which the awe and popularity derives.

I don't see the point of it all myself but if people on the whole like it then so be it. As long as the royals have no real power.