Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dear God. Is there anything these people wouldn't tax given a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Inheritance tax to 90%?? FFS......

I can't say I would view my parents' house as unearned wealth. They mortgaged themselves up to their eyeballs in their late 30s and worked like lunatics for 20 years to pay for it. Not only is it not unearned, but the earnings that paid for it were also taxed.

I haven't see a penny of it (and quite right too) but if I had, purely to help with a first deposit, that apparently would have made me some kind of middle class ****.

****ing Guardian
    I like how what we used to call 'saving' is now 'wealth hoarding'.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I don't see that. Presumably you were a children, or child anyway, and you turned out alright. Why would you imagine children were a bad thing, if not for the reasons I've outlined?

Of course, naturally, I too believe children are bad, which is why the sensitive man has as little to do with them as possible; as we agreed before, that's what wives are for. However, that is, imo, no excuse for actually not having them.
    I find your view of women's role in society hugely offensive. Or, rather, I would if I gave a **** about that sort of thing.

I find children incredibly annoying. Why would I want one? Also, as I am a **** I am assuming they would be. So one **** fewer in the world and all thanks to me. You should thank me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Peter. I can't help feeling that you're ready to step out of the darkness of schoolboy liberalism, into the daylight of middle-aged reactionary conservatism.

Here. Take my hand. Step into the light.
    I am not, and never have been, a liberal. Of course, I was once a schoolboy.

It ****s me off when people believe that the state has some kind of a moral duty to interfere in a family's financial decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    My dear old dad used to advise me as a small child: "Never have kids, Ash. They're a nightmare and a millstone round your neck. If I hadn't had kids I'd have a villa in the south of France by now."

Sound advice, really. Especially as I struggle to even look after myself properly, let alone anyone else.
    He will tell you that you lack confidence and that the wife is there to look after the kids.

He hasn't met my wife

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I like how what we used to call 'saving' is now 'wealth hoarding'.
    The whole premise is *******s. If you wish to tackle wealth accumulation then tackle it as it happens. To be appalled by parents passing on wealth to their children makes no sense whatsoever. This smacks of someone suffering from property envy.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I am not, and never have been, a liberal. Of course, I was once a schoolboy.

It ****s me off when people believe that the state has some kind of a moral duty to interfere in a family's financial decisions
    Apologies, p. I don't really know what a liberal is, it's all just varying degrees of leftyism to me.

But of course you are right. It is up to families to make provision for families so that they can pay for food, schools, housing, medical care and old age, and it is for the state to repair the roads and employ policeman and soldiers.

You really are ready to join us

it is for the state to repair the roads and employ policeman and soldiers.
    Filthy statism!

I'm not really sure about policemen, tbh. I feel they are an oppressive instrument of the state who exist merely to circumscribe my ability to protect my self, family and property. Allow me to arm myself and give me the freedom to act in self-defence and there would be no need of police.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Filthy statism!

I'm not really sure about policemen, tbh. I feel they are an oppressive instrument of the state who exist merely to circumscribe my ability to protect my self, family and property. Allow me to arm myself and give me the freedom to act in self-defence and there would be no need of police.
    But we need an oppressive instrument of the state to keep the oiks in check.

Here's the deal. People earning less than £50,000 per annum will pay a special police tax which will be used to subjugate them. Those earning more than this amount have no need of subjugation and will therefore be exempt the tax.

Compromise, you see? That's how to do politics.

Apologies, p. I don't really know what a liberal is, it's all just varying degrees of leftyism to me.

But of course you are right. It is up to families to make provision for families so that they can pay for food, schools, housing, medical care and old age, and it is for the state to repair the roads and employ policeman and soldiers.

You really are ready to join us
    Nah, I like a bit of statism. But if my dad wants to slip me five grand he should be able to. Hasn't happened yet but you never know.....

But we need an oppressive instrument of the state to keep the oiks in check.

Here's the deal. People earning less than £50,000 per annum will pay a special police tax which will be used to subjugate them. Those earning more than this amount have no need of subjugation and will therefore be exempt the tax.

Compromise, you see? That's how to do politics.
    What about hiring private militia? Wouldn't you like to s**** about surrounded by heavily armed men ready to do extreme violence to anyone who dares oppose you?