Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: A good piece on the Livingstone business that nails the 'he was telling the truth'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Yes, very good. Like the bit about saying Israelis instead of Jews - you do see that quite a lot
    When I'm racially abusing monty in future I will certainly be calling him a zionist.

It's the smart way to give offence without being branded a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    When I'm racially abusing monty in future I will certainly be calling him a zionist.

It's the smart way to give offence without being branded a racist.
    Was it you who once suggested you felt that referring to a Jewish person as 'a Jew' rather than Jewish sounded a bit off?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Was it you who once suggested you felt that referring to a Jewish person as 'a Jew' rather than Jewish sounded a bit off?
    Yes, I've always felt that it sounds a bit brutal or disrespectful. I've probably just known too many Germans, to be honest.

Yes, I've always felt that it sounds a bit brutal or disrespectful. I've probably just known too many Germans, to be honest.
    It might simply be that we grew up at a time when, if someone dropped a penny, anyone who picked it up would immediately be taunted with 'JEW!', so we think of it as a term of abuse.

It might simply be that we grew up at a time when, if someone dropped a penny, anyone who picked it up would be taunted with 'JEW!', so we think of it as a term of abuse.
    "Jewbag!" would have been the mot juste in my day, accompanied by a hooked finger rubbing the nose.

Simpler, better days, of course.

"Jewbag!" would have been the mot juste in my day, accompanied by a hooked finger rubbing the nose.

Simpler, better days, of course.
    Yes. Honest-to-goodness racism back then. None of your covert rubbish.

Yes. Honest-to-goodness racism back then. None of your covert rubbish.
    There was no racism, of course. It was a simple objection to the behaviour of the fscist Israeli state, and a statement of unity with the oppressed Palestinian people, yes.