Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Poldi. The manshaft's third highest scorer, won a world cup.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I expect many of us would have been happy to pack it all in at 31 for enough of the spondulickses. Does Japan count as packing it all in though?
    Well he's retired from international football (I suspect he wasn't getting a game) but isn't Japan a place you go to at 35 for a final year on big bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Well he's retired from international football (I suspect he wasn't getting a game) but isn't Japan a place you go to at 35 for a final year on big bucks?
    Been playing regularly since he was 17 at the highest level. Seems a thing with that generation - Lahm is quitting entirely at the age of 33 (having quit internationals at 30). Per quit the national team at 29. Schweini is only 32 and going to America having quit Die Mannschaft last year. Neuer retired from all football during the second half of the game at the Emirates but changed his mind before anyone noticed

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Been playing regularly since he was 17 at the highest level. Seems a thing with that generation - Lahm is quitting entirely at the age of 33 (having quit internationals at 30). Per quit the national team at 29. Schweini is only 32 and going to America having quit Die Mannschaft last year. Neuer retired from all football during the second half of the game at the Emirates but changed his mind before anyone noticed
    Think we'll see it more and more with the money they're now earning. You see it in the NFL as well, with players walking away around the age of 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    Think we'll see it more and more with the money they're now earning. You see it in the NFL as well, with players walking away around the age of 30.
    Yep - almost stranger to see people going on into their late 30s/early 40s. I can understand that not wanting to stop playing but keeping up the training slog day after day must be incredibly hard if you are set for life

Yep - almost stranger to see people going on into their late 30s/early 40s. I can understand that not wanting to stop playing but keeping up the training slog day after day must be incredibly hard if you are set for life
    I always presumed that, but, on the other hand, what else would they do; they love playing football and playing, even training, with other professionals is surely the only way they can guarantee a decent game, adequate competition.

The wife has got her own life, so have the kids; your other mates are all working stiffs etc. and so on..
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I always presumed that, but, on the other hand, what else would they do; they love playing football and playing, even training, with other professionals is surely the only way they can guarantee a decent game, adequate competition.

The wife has got her own life, so have the kids; your other mates are all working stiffs etc. and so on..
    There are a surprising number of players who don't love football at all. Some actively dislike it. They just happen to be good at it and it pays well.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    There are a surprising number of players who don't love football at all. Some actively dislike it. They just happen to be good at it and it pays well.
    Of course, but having made their names in football it's the only environment in which they enjoy real status. Up west at the opera or the theatre, Wenger would be just another mug-punter or know-nothing-****. However, at Swindon Town Seconds v Supermarine Reserves, or even at El Clasico, He is royalty.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Training slog? Surely we've all seen the pictures and clips of Arsenal players gently jogging for a few seconds at the training sessions between the actual day's work of having a laugh with each other. Perhaps this is where our club is going wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Training slog? Surely we've all seen the pictures and clips of Arsenal players gently jogging for a few seconds at the training sessions between the actual day's work of having a laugh with each other. Perhaps this is where our club is going wrong?
    I agree. Especially as keeping fit, jogging, gyming, healthy eating and what-have-you are popular lifestyle choices nowadays anyway, for those with the time and money and even for those without. And not just for professional sportsfolk.

Whatever you may think of it, they are coming for you too. Does HR 1313 mean anything to you? It ought to #SiegHealth!

I suppose the drugs took a terrible toll on their bodies, la. Perhaps that's why googly-eyes has retired.