Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now THIS is the definition of true solidarity with Muslim women

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well that's all very well, but do they do that here? No, they do not. Instead they bring their cultural practices in terms of dress and attitudes here and expect us to be OK with that. So which is it? Do we all abide by 'When in Rome' or do none of us?
    A gentleman is not polite and correctly behaved because other people are, b. He simply behaves well because he is a gentleman.

I'd have expected you to be familiar with the correct form, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    A gentleman is not polite and correctly behaved because other people are, b. He simply behaves well because he is a gentleman.

It's an absurd argument. So a gay politician visiting Lebanon who was carted off to jail should accept his or her fate, as to not do so would be culturally insensitive?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    It's an absurd argument. So a gay politician visiting Lebanon who was carted off to jail should accept his or her fate, as to not do so would be culturally insensitive?
    You no read too good, huh?

I'm suggesting that a gay politician, aware that he would be jailed in Lebanon, should not visit Lebanon.

I'm suggesting that a gay politician, aware that he would be jailed in Lebanon, should not visit Lebanon.
    Can they lock them up just for being gay or do they have to do gay things while in Lebanon?

Can they lock them up just for being gay or do they have to do gay things while in Lebanon?
    I have no idea, I was replying to Monty's somewhat hypothetical question.

Were I gay, and on the verge of visiting Lebanon, you may rest assured I would check the detail.

I have no idea, I was replying to Monty's somewhat hypothetical question.

Were I gay, and on the verge of visiting Lebanon, you may rest assured I would check the detail.
    Well things have changed a bit, haven't they? The only westerners who ever used to go to these places at all used to be homos.

Well I don't agree. I think a gay politician should visit Lebanon, attempt to engage with them, and if they cart him off to jail it would simply shine a light on their barbarity and perhaps even knock some sense of reality and urgency into the west's assorted apologists.

Just as the Allan fella insisting on Le Pen wearing a headscarf shined a light on his barbarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Well I don't agree. I think a gay politician should visit Lebanon, attempt to engage with them, and if they cart him off to jail it would simply shine a light on their barbarity and perhaps even knock some sense of reality and urgency into the west's assorted apologists.

Just as the Allan fella insisting on Le Pen wearing a headscarf shined a light on his barbarity.
    I don't think he would be carted off to jail for being gay, wouldn't he have to do a gay act?
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Were we gentlemen when we stopped suttee, the cult of the thugee or stopped female infanticide?

Were we gentlemen when we stopped suttee, the cult of the thugee or stopped female infanticide?
    You no read too good neither.

I have already pointed out that, as a politician, you have the further option of gathering your military forces and changing things if you perceive them as incompatible with decency. I've already said that.