Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: In London, who are the people protesting against President Trump?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    So, if the government required all heterosexual men to attend rape awareness courses your attitude would be 'well, people of my sex and sexual orientation are almost entirely responsible for rape so it really makes sense for me to attend the course so that we can understand why men rape women and work with the authorities to try and eliminate it'.

Yeah, course you would.
    Hardly comparable. If I knew or suspected a man I knew was a rapist or heard someone exhorting men to commit rape, I'd contact the police immediately. Do muslims do the same vis-a-vis radicalised young men or radicalising preachers? No, I'm afraid that in many cases they do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Hardly comparable. If I knew or suspected a man I knew was a rapist or heard someone exhorting men to commit rape, I'd contact the police immediately. Do muslims do the same vis-a-vis radicalised young men or radicalising preachers? No, I'm afraid that in many cases they do not.
    That's deflection, Burney. What you say is accurate but not material to the point I made.

If it is ok to target Muslim communities in a public way because all Islamic terrorists are Muslims, why is it not ok to target men in a public way when all rapists are men?

That's deflection, Burney. What you say is accurate but not material to the point I made.

If it is ok to target Muslim communities in a public way because all Islamic terrorists are Muslims, why is it not ok to target men in a public way when all rapists are men?
    Well if by 'target' you mean 'treat as potential suspects until proved otherwise' it's fine by me on both counts. I'm happy to rule myself out of a rape enquiry any time you like, thanks and wouldn't feel stigmatised at all.

Well if by 'target' you mean 'treat as potential suspects until proved otherwise' it's fine by me on both counts. I'm happy to rule myself out of a rape enquiry any time you like, thanks and wouldn't feel stigmatised at all.
    So you would have worn the pink ribbon?

So you would have worn the pink ribbon?
    No, because it would have had no practical effect and would simply have been an exercise in virtue-signalling.

Stop trying to make bad analogies fit.

No, because it would have had no practical effect and would simply have been an exercise in virtue-signalling.

Stop trying to make bad analogies fit.
    It wasn't a bad analogy. I refused to wear the ribbon not because it had no practical effect but because I felt there was an implication that all men were in some way responsible for violence against women, a presumption that I found offensive.

I guess you wouldn't have felt that way, but many did.

It wasn't a bad analogy. I refused to wear the ribbon not because it had no practical effect but because I felt there was an implication that all men were in some way responsible for violence against women, a presumption that I found offensive.

I guess you wouldn't have felt that way, but many did.
    Were women not asked to wear the ribbon too?