One I played in, for a team who thought they would lose and duly rolled over and accepted their hammering.

One was the Mike Riley show at Old Trafford.

Another was losing at home to Chelsea in '05, I believe. When Joe Cole scored their second, that game. On that evening we were clearly beaten before the first whistle. We lay down and let them have their way with us.

Last night goes on the list, and possibly near the top of it. I can't remember seeing a side accept their fate with quite such a degree of passivity. It was shameful, really.

Ospina, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Koscielny and Mustafi were prepared to work up a sweat; the rest of them, not at all. Sanchez' arm-waving and sulking is all about Sanchez, nothing to do with the team. Iwobi sort of hung out with Gibbs in an approximate left back position as if to give him some support, but when the ball went there, did nothing at all to interfere with Robben and Lahm. Xhaka and Coquelin seemed entirely uninterested in attempting to make a tackle. Ozil made Tony Cascarino appear perceptive.

By the time I am appalled by a lack of pashun, something is very, very wrong.