Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: That Brazil plane crash is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    3 weeks off work with it and still not feeling 100%....it's really rather unpleasant
    Three weeks!? Not to belittle your suffering in any way, old boy, but I took less time off when I had cancer.

Is it the pneumonics you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Three weeks!? Not to belittle your suffering in any way, old boy, but I took less time off when I had cancer.

Proper flu, doc initially signed me off for 4 weeks. Wasn't helped with the additional chest infection and gastric flu at the end. They thought it was Sepsis at first

Proper flu, doc initially signed me off for 4 weeks. Wasn't helped with the additional chest infection and gastric flu at the end. They thought it was Sepsis at first
    Blimey. So anti-virals and antibiotics, I'm guessing?

Still, I imagine you've lost weight, which is always handy at our age.

Well yeah, but let's be honest, some types of cancer have limited side affects and are easily treated and in such a way that the impact on the patient is minimal.

Whereas viruses and infections can leave a chap in agony for some days or weeks. So ner.

I was off with pneumonia for two weeks a few years back, during April. It was unseasonably warm and sunny and when I returned I had a nice tan and had lost a stone.

Everyone said 'you look great, been away?'. I said 'no, I had pneumonia'.

Yep. Lost a stone and stopped smoking, so not all bad

Just antibiotics. Rather annoyingly, I was due to have my flu jab on the day the flu arrived....how I laughed at the irony

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Well yeah, but let's be honest, some types of cancer have limited side affects and are easily treated and in such a way that the impact on the patient is minimal.

Whereas viruses and infections can leave a chap in agony for some days or weeks. So ner.
    Gosh, well thank you for your considered opinion on what having cancer is like. I shall bear it in mind in future.

I'm not sure I would describe an orchidectomy, chemotherapy and two years of hospital appointments, check-ups, blood tests and the constant terror of recurrence (resulting, of course, in that pesky 'limited side effect' death) as 'easily treated', but I'm sure you know best.

I've always been thankful that, as these things go, I had a relatively light brush from the cancer stick, but now I've read your wise words, I realise that I was really just being silly to make such a fuss.

Yep. Lost a stone and stopped smoking, so not all bad

Just antibiotics. Rather annoyingly, I was due to have my flu jab on the day the flu arrived....how I laughed at the irony
    I never have a flu jab and haven't had proper flu since I was a kid. My wife always gets it and then spends at least two days off sick in the following week. Anecdotal, of course, but there we are.

You gonna stick with the non-smoking? You've basically done the hard bit, so you might as well.

Gosh, well thank you for your considered opinion on what having cancer is like. I shall bear it in mind in future.

I'm not sure I would describe an orchidectomy, chemotherapy and two years of hospital appointments, check-ups, blood tests and the constant terror of recurrence (resulting, of course, in that pesky 'limited side effect' death) as 'easily treated', but I'm sure you know best.

I've always been thankful that, as these things go, I had a relatively light brush from the cancer stick, but now I've read your wise words, I realise that I was really just being silly to make such a fuss.
    No, you're quite right, I reckon. I once broke a leg in a rather complicated fashion and after a couple of weeks of faff, it seemed like half of Harley Street had had its hand up my pipe.

I've distrusted quacks ever since.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

I never have a flu jab and haven't had proper flu since I was a kid. My wife always gets it and then spends at least two days off sick in the following week. Anecdotal, of course, but there we are.

You gonna stick with the non-smoking? You've basically done the hard bit, so you might as well.
    Going to try, just hard as I genuinely enjoy smoking but would rather like to not die anytime soon plus the savings are quite significant