Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things you don't see any more thread No. 452

Things you don't see any more thread No. 452

Fu Manchu fillums on TV. #lacist

In fact the whole genre of Chinese crime, vice and opium dens in Limehouse was actually based on a hysterical perception of what was actually a fairly small number of Chinese in a couple of streets, most of whom were sailors just staying overnight. Somehow an East End moral panic became a fictional trope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Things you don't see any more thread No. 452
    Jorge on awimb
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fùckers even more.

In fact the whole genre of Chinese crime, vice and opium dens in Limehouse was actually based on a hysterical perception of what was actually a fairly small number of Chinese in a couple of streets, most of whom were sailors just staying overnight. Somehow an East End moral panic became a fictional trope.
    Parking meters,
    Those red and white striped tents British Telecom used to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Parking meters,
    Those red and white striped tents British Telecom used to use.
    Anderson Shelters as workmen huts.

Anderson Shelters as workmen huts.
    These things are slowly vanishing too.

Quote Originally Posted by 71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat View Post
    Jorge on awimb
    Ah, 71. I was listening to The Magnificent Seven last night admiring the bass groove and thinking "that's pretty tidy for Paul Simonen" but of course it was Norman Roy-Watt from The Blockheads - who also played on Rock the Casbah (and went to school on the Blackstock Road).

Ah, 71. I was listening to The Magnificent Seven last night admiring the bass groove and thinking "that's pretty tidy for Paul Simonen" but of course it was Norman Roy-Watt from The Blockheads - who also played on Rock the Casbah (and went to school on the Blackstock Road).
    Simonon. I loved the Blockheads so that's fine by me Saw them post Dury but with Wilko and despite the fact I was off my head I seem to remember they were superb.
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fùckers even more.

You don't see Charlie Chan on telly, either. 'Number Lun Son' and all that. He was, of course, played by a Swede

They did tend to run the opium dens, though. Mind you, that was only because their population had a taste for it created entirely by us exporting it to them from India. A taste, in fact, that we forced upon them in two wars and once by sending an Army to Peking and smashing up the Summer Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    These things are slowly vanishing too.
    trust me p - stock photos will always be needed