Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's 33C and sunny here in the UAE, and life is good

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It's 33C and sunny here in the UAE, and life is good

My mohito is quite exceptional, the Cowboys are 5-1, Arsenal are 2nd on goal difference only and the Guildford Gondoliers are top of the league.

Next up, lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    My mohito is quite exceptional, the Cowboys are 5-1, Arsenal are 2nd on goal difference only and the Guildford Gondoliers are top of the league.

Next up, lunch.
    It's 'mojito'.

Next up, lunch.
    Enjoying the local culture, stunning architecture and slave labour?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Enjoying the local culture, stunning architecture and slave labour?
    No, no and no. I'm eating great food, drinking great drink and doing sod all other than enjoying the sun and the heat.

All of which has more than made up for 7 hours in economy on the way here, Charles. It was unpleasant

No, no and no. I'm eating great food, drinking great drink and doing sod all other than enjoying the sun and the heat.

All of which has more than made up for 7 hours in economy on the way here, Charles. It was unpleasant
    On a flight to Sri Lanka last year I noticed a couple whose children and nanny were despatched to sit down the back. This made sense to me.

I'm genuinely curious: what does one actually find to do in such a place? You can't spend the whole day eating and drinking and lounging around by the pool, surely? What is there to go and see and experience? Are there any landmarks, sites of cultural or historical interest? Is there local cuisine to be had, things to be seen or experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm genuinely curious: what does one actually find to do in such a place? You can't spend the whole day eating and drinking and lounging around by the pool, surely? What is there to go and see and experience? Are there any landmarks, sites of cultural or historical interest? Is there local cuisine to be had, things to be seen or experience?
    No, there is none of that, but you seem to miss the point, Burney. Holidays of this sort are about doing nothing and doing it very well. I did my activity holiday in Canada in August. This is about relaxation and luxury, and there's loads of it about.

No, there is none of that, but you seem to miss the point, Burney. Holidays of this sort are about doing nothing and doing it very well. I did my activity holiday in Canada in August. This is about relaxation and luxury, and there's loads of it about.
    Oh, and there's the playing with your children bit as well. Speaking of which, I wonder where the f*ck they are?

Oh. So, it's basically an upscale Marbella, then?

I have no interest in sedentary holidays myself. Half a day of doing nothing is about all I can manage before I'm climbing the f@cking walls. I see no point in travelling thousands of miles and spending thousands of pounds and not coming back with a better understanding of the place I've travelled to.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Shopping, innit. It's a religion there.

He has the right idea, it seems; a man simply casts his wife, and any teenage daughters he is unfortunate enough to have been cursed with, loose into the streets and then orders another drink while muttering a quiet prayer for forgiveness to mighty Mammon, not forgetting to include humble tribute to American Express.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."