Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A disastrous transfer window is taking shape

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A disastrous transfer window is taking shape

The refusal to plan ahead and do early business has meant we'll end up with a shortage at centre-half or with expensive stop-gap crap.

Time to change our system so that this season you're already thinking ahead to next and puttin g out necessary feelers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    The refusal to plan ahead and do early business has meant we'll end up with a shortage at centre-half or with expensive stop-gap crap.

Time to change our system so that this season you're already thinking ahead to next and puttin g out necessary feelers.
    It doesn't help that there are very few good players available.Look at Man City,they have spent something in the region of 140 million trying to find a partner for Kompany.Wenger thought he had the centre back position filled with the addition of Holding.How was he supposed to know both Gab and the BFG would get injured in the space of a fortnight?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    It doesn't help that there are very few good players available.Look at Man City,they have spent something in the region of 140 million trying to find a partner for Kompany.Wenger thought he had the centre back position filled with the addition of Holding.How was he supposed to know both Gab and the BFG would get injured in the space of a fortnight?
    Mertesacker was injured nearly six weeks ago. From that point he said he wanted a defender and we still don't have one. There's also plenty of defenders available better than Gabriel, Holding, and Chambers, which is who we have playing next to Kos until the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    Mertesacker was injured nearly six weeks ago. From that point he said he wanted a defender and we still don't have one. There's also plenty of defenders available better than Gabriel, Holding, and Chambers, which is who we have playing next to Kos until the new year.
    I think we'll get James Rodriguez. Can he play up front?

Anybody can play up front, it is whether they are any good in that role. World football is not currently overflowing with world class strikers.

Quote Originally Posted by George Morrell's Tache View Post
    Anybody can play up front, it is whether they are any good in that role.
    We need insight like this. Which reminds me, WHERE IS REG?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong,Wenger is not blameless in this.Personally I think he should have replaced Mertesacker this time last year.And our injury record is soooooo incredibly fúcking sad,boring and downright maddening.As for better than what we have I just don't see it out there

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    I think it is the apparent lack of planning that is frustrating for many C.

Take the striker issue. We all know we need one, apart from Rich. Wenger openly stated that one of the primary reasons for the failure to win last season’s title was goals scored. So fair play he looked to address this early in the summer with an opportunistic offer for Vardy. Perhaps lazy and/or the cheap option but he went for it, deals all done and business over before the Euros.

We all know what occurred and here 9-10 weeks later, nothing.

Was there ever a plan B? Does he really want to spend given his very obvious reservations about modern day transfer fees. Is he now so out of touch as to steam on with what looks like a one man crusade against reality.

Waiting for a 29th August late bargain and a few million saved, and of course savings on related salary costs over the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I think it is the apparent lack of planning that is frustrating for many C.

Take the striker issue. We all know we need one, apart from Rich. Wenger openly stated that one of the primary reasons for the failure to win last season’s title was goals scored. So fair play he looked to address this early in the summer with an opportunistic offer for Vardy. Perhaps lazy and/or the cheap option but he went for it, deals all done and business over before the Euros.

We all know what occurred and here 9-10 weeks later, nothing.

Was there ever a plan B? Does he really want to spend given his very obvious reservations about modern day transfer fees. Is he now so out of touch as to steam on with what looks like a one man crusade against reality.

Waiting for a 29th August late bargain and a few million saved, and of course savings on related salary costs over the summer.
    I think we need a striker better than Giroud. They also need to fit into our wage/transfer fee structure which rules the likes of Zlatan out.

I have a feeling that Arsenal fans expect to compete with United, City, Chelsea and even Liverpool when we simply do not generate enough cash to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I think we need a striker better than Giroud. They also need to fit into our wage/transfer fee structure which rules the likes of Zlatan out.

I have a feeling that Arsenal fans expect to compete with United, City, Chelsea and even Liverpool when we simply do not generate enough cash to do that.
    Indeed.Fúck a centre half,spunk every penny we have on a striker.