Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So Theresa May wants us to stay in the EU, but pull out of the ECHR?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jorge View Post
    In fairness, she's been on the fence so long she's got a flange like a CDT classroom's floor. But it's OK, we dont need human rights, workers rights or freedom of movement.

Yeah, 'cos we never had any rights until those nice Europeans taught us all about them, did we?

I find Theresa May's attempts to look physically attractive extremely disturbing. I do wish she'd stop it .

The Jorge
    Not massively, no, unless you call a thousand years of constitutional fudges a proper enshrinement of fundamental rights.

On Theresa May, I know what you mean. The other day in Parliament she basically had the baps out, well I say baps but they were more artisanal pittas. Maybe she feels pressure from sharing a name with the busty 80s page 3 toyota starlet.

Not massively, no, unless you call a thousand years of constitutional fudges a proper enshrinement of fundamental rights.

On Theresa May, I know what you mean. The other day in Parliament she basically had the baps out, well I say baps but they were more artisanal pittas. Maybe she feels pressure from sharing a name with the busty 80s page 3 toyota starlet.

Yes. 'Constitutional fudges' that the rest of the world has envied and emulated. Indeed, 'constitutional fudges' that have given us rights we've had for centuries that most of Europe has only just caught up with in historical terms.

The Jorge
    Yes, they were all the rage in the 19th century

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. 'Constitutional fudges' that the rest of the world has envied and emulated. Indeed, 'constitutional fudges' that have given us rights we've had for centuries that most of Europe has only just caught up with in historical terms.
    True. Jorge, B's right.

The Bill of Rights 1689 has had more impact on global democracy and rule of law than the ECHR. {Admittedly by us nicking their countries and forcing it on them during our rule and at independence, but there you go.}

In fairness, she's been on the fence so long she's got a flange like a CDT classroom's floor. But it's OK, we dont need human rights, workers rights or freedom of movement.

Yes, I remember well how, prior to 1975, the labour force in this country was indentured and forced to build Austin Allegros at gunpoint for no wages. Also, we weren't allowed to travel, you know. The first Englishman to see France was Mr Brian Scrote, who went on a day trip to Calais in January 1976 thanks to the Common Market forcing the British government to allow him to travel FACT.

The Jorge
    I know you're a fan of the unspecified good old days but I'm not sure 1975 would be my first stab at your go-to year

Our fudges of course are why we, unlike these freedom loving Europeans, have never managed to produce a Napoleon, a Hitler, a Mussolini, a Franco, a Stalin, a Salazar... shall I go on?
    Last edited by Mo Britain less Europe; 04-25-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    Our fudges of course are why we, unlike these freedom loving Europeans, have never managed to produce a Napoleon, a Hitler, a Mussolini, a Franco, a Stalin, a Salazar... shall I go on?
    You have to remember, mo, that j regards compromise not as an art to be practised to avoid violence and tyranny, but as a fundamental failure of will and imagination. He actually thinks revolutions are good things - despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    I don't think you're allowed to represent Stalin as something negative, Mo. You'll have a ****ing twitterstorm on your arse.

Lefty, see?