Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Sir C about? Found a great seafood restaurant in Margate. Dory's.

Is Sir C about? Found a great seafood restaurant in Margate. Dory's.

In that road opposite the Turner going towards the clock-tower.

Small plates for c.£8-10.

The marinated sea trout with pickled cucumber was divine. I got a 2nd one after having the first with 3 Whitstable oysters.

The glw had sea trout and a plate of asparagus with sone hard cheese grated on top.

Livy had one plate of bbq skate wing on toast - fat slice of lush read - and a plate of stone bass fish {which I'd never heard of} with new spuds, chick peas and a lovely dill mayo.

We didn't drink - I can't drink during the day unless I'm on drugs - we just had the water in carafes they put out, but when my beloved asked for some sparkling water, they said they don't sell it but we could go and buy some from the offie opposite and drink that.

£63 incl service for 6 plates plus the 3 oysters.

Excellent value for money.

I want to go back there one evening when I can drink cos one of the wines that you can buy by the glass was an English white for £5.50 and I've never had any English wine.

My Parvati had been taken there by a mate 2-3 months ago and said I'd like it, and she was right. There's no menu, it's just written on a blackboard, cos it changes all the time depending on what fish they have.

I really recommend it. You'd love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

The marinated sea trout with pickled cucumber was divine. I got a 2nd one after having the first with 3 Whitstable oysters.

The glw had sea trout and a plate of asparagus with sone hard cheese grated on top.

Livy had one plate of bbq skate wing on toast - fat slice of lush read - and a plate of stone bass fish {which I'd never heard of} with new spuds, chick peas and a lovely dill mayo.

We didn't drink - I can't drink during the day unless I'm on drugs - we just had the water in carafes they put out, but when my beloved asked for some sparkling water, they said they don't sell it but we could go and buy some from the offie opposite and drink that.

I want to go back there one evening when I can drink cos one of the wines that you can buy by the glass was an English white for £5.50 and I've never had any English wine.

My Parvati had been taken there by a mate 2-3 months ago and said I'd like it, and she was right. There's no menu, it's just written on a blackboard, cos it changes all the time depending on what fish they have.

I remember the sea - been a long time since I was anywhere near it though

Food sounds nice - lack of alcohol less so

I am not going to make any Finding Dory jokes

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I remember the sea - been a long time since I was anywhere near it though

Food sounds nice - lack of alcohol less so

I am not going to make any Finding Dory jokes
    I can't drink in the day any more, LA.

If I have a drink, but then stop, I feel groggy and fall asleep.

It's fine if I keep drinking, or if I'm at a festival where I can keep boshing drugs. But if I drink at lunch and then stop, I'll sleep.

Must be getting old, I guess.

Food was nice, though. I'd never heard of sea trout. Apparently, they just put it with salt and sugar and "aromatics" - they used fennel and juniper - for 48 hrs before washing it off and slicing it. Would like to try it myself.

Have a couple of normal trout fillets in the freezer that we got cut price in Tescos, so I'll make that cerviche with avocado and lime sorbet. Not having an ice cream maker, I asked on here and Sir C and Berni told me how to make a granita instead of a sorbet by hand and it worked a treat.

Btw, did you try my left over boiled new spuds with fried mushrooms, sliced and diced saucisson sec, optional shallots/onions, splash of Lea and Perrins, covered with grated comté/gruyère and whacked in the oven concoction?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I can't drink in the day any more, LA.

If I have a drink, but then stop, I feel groggy and fall asleep.

It's fine if I keep drinking, or if I'm at a festival where I can keep boshing drugs. But if I drink at lunch and then stop, I'll sleep.

Must be getting old, I guess.

Food was nice, though. I'd never heard of sea trout. Apparently, they just put it with salt and sugar and "aromatics" - they used fennel and juniper - for 48 hrs before washing it off and slicing it. Would like to try it myself.

Have a couple of normal trout fillets in the freezer that we got cut price in Tescos, so I'll make that cerviche with avocado and lime sorbet. Not having an ice cream maker, I asked on here and Sir C and Berni told me how to make a granita instead of a sorbet by hand and it worked a treat.

Btw, did you try my left over boiled new spuds with fried mushrooms, sliced and diced saucisson sec, optional shallots/onions, splash of Lea and Perrins, covered with grated comté/gruyère and whacked in the oven concoction?
    Not stopping is the key

I haven't tried the spuds but it still sounds wonderful. Can't get good spuds here though - that's the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Not stopping is the key

I haven't tried the spuds but it still sounds wonderful. Can't get good spuds here though - that's the problem
    You should get someone to send you a packet of Jersey Royals. We've got loads of parsley in the herb garden and been putting tons of it with Jerseys. Lush.

Why don't the Hun have good spuds?

You should get someone to send you a packet of Jersey Royals. We've got loads of parsley in the herb garden and been putting tons of it with Jerseys. Lush.

Why don't the Hun have good spuds?
    No idea - even when they do they make abominations like "dumplings". You can get a decent mash but it's practically liquid so not very healthy

Strange. In Holland, they have this lovely winter dish called Boerenkool which is mash with kale or cabbage or something, like colcannon, with fried onions mixed in and then their German-style sausages.

But I haven't really found mash anywhere else in Europe. You have pomme purée in France which is really smooth, but it's not a common dish.

Had dumplings once in a tourist restaurant in Wenceslas Square in Prague after a Teknival one year. They were quite fun. What's wrong with the Hun ones?

Did our take on salmon chirasi last night. Make a sauce of watery wasabi paste and soy sauce, and mix that through the sushi rice. Add in steamed ede mame beans, avocado, spring onions, cucumber - pickled if poss, and ripped up seaweed sheets. Mix it all together with some sesame seeds.

Then get a side of salmon, cut it into sashimi and put it on a long, rectangular plate with some pickled ginger and wasabi paste. Bowl of miso soup and a glass or two of Chablis. Lush.

I was buying wasabi paste in the supermarket in 30g tubes for two quid, and needed more than one for the sauce. So I bought a kilo of wasabi powder from Amazon for about eight quid.

I only lived in Germany for a month in '95 - on the East Side Gallery traveller site in between the Berlin Wall and the canal that was the middle of no man's land in between the walls. So I wasn't cooking.

I've only had the sausages from a van in Portobello Road. Which ones do you recommend?

They're nice, but not the top quality I was hoping for. Can you get decent ones, like a Toulouse sausage, for example?

Sounds brilliant g, thank you. Will definitely try it out and report!

Strange. In Holland, they have this lovely winter dish called Boerenkool which is mash with kale or cabbage or something, like colcannon, with fried onions mixed in and then their German-style sausages.

But I haven't really found mash anywhere else in Europe. You have pomme purée in France which is really smooth, but it's not a common dish.

Had dumplings once in a tourist restaurant in Wenceslas Square in Prague after a Teknival one year. They were quite fun. What's wrong with the Hun ones?

Did our take on salmon chirasi last night. Make a sauce of watery wasabi paste and soy sauce, and mix that through the sushi rice. Add in steamed ede mame beans, avocado, spring onions, cucumber - pickled if poss, and ripped up seaweed sheets. Mix it all together with some sesame seeds.

Then get a side of salmon, cut it into sashimi and put it on a long, rectangular plate with some pickled ginger and wasabi paste. Bowl of miso soup and a glass or two of Chablis. Lush.

I was buying wasabi paste in the supermarket in 30g tubes for two quid, and needed more than one for the sauce. So I bought a kilo of wasabi powder from Amazon for about eight quid.

I only lived in Germany for a month in '95 - on the East Side Gallery traveller site in between the Berlin Wall and the canal that was the middle of no man's land in between the walls. So I wasn't cooking.

I've only had the sausages from a van in Portobello Road. Which ones do you recommend?

They're nice, but not the top quality I was hoping for. Can you get decent ones, like a Toulouse sausage, for example?
    Bratkartofflen can be a tasty fried potato, onion and bacon bits dish in Germany served with veal or pork schnitzel und Spiegeleier. Und bier.

Point of order g. Rookworst are nothing like Nazi snossidges. They are fine, upstanding oranjesnossidges.