Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: After yesterday's conversation about falling out of love with the Arsenal, I started

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Someone posted a video on facebook yesterday of a display at City airport airshow in 1999. It was 30 seconds in before I realised it was me in the driver's seat. This induced a wave of nostalgia, almost immediately followed by a rush of relief that all that is behind me.

Does the poet not tell us that everything must change
    nothing stays the same
    everyone will change
    no one, no one stays the same
    the young become the old
    and mysteries do unfold
    for that's the way of time
    no one, and nothing goes unchanged

Wise words, I think you'll agree.
    I think you'll agree that George sang it with feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I sometimes look wistfully at my cricket bat, but realistically, I won't ever be picking it up in anger again. But that's a purely physical thing. That makes me briefly sad, but then I think about flogging around the outfield on a hot day and feel a lot better.
    A colleague of mine has just started playing for a club here - made me wonder. But then I realised it was 10 years since I last played and a couple of years longer since I played properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    A colleague of mine has just started playing for a club here - made me wonder. But then I realised it was 10 years since I last played and a couple of years longer since I played properly.
    Define *properly* , LA. Shin pads and tie ups ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Exactly so, a. No, there's no way I'm spending hours and hours training and practicing and travelling and performing. Instead, I shall head out onto 't fell and walk up fúcking mountians for 8 hours a day.

Haha, as I was driving over Buttertubs Pass from the Yorkshire Dales to Cumbria I noted with pleasure that someone had amended the 'Welcome To Cumbria' sign to read, 'We come To Cum'.
    Um, yes, that did occur to me, but at least on the fells I only worry about matters of existential survival like getting lost in mist and falling to a terrifying death, and not whether the effing drummer is going to turn up.

Odd things, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Why would you not play cricket again? Aren't you only, like, 40-something?

I now play 7-a-side football every Monday night with a bunch of local Faversham types (including two ex cons) who only ever seem to go to London to see their mates box in unlicensed fight clubs in Bethnal Green.

They've nicknamed me "Pull back Paul" due to my prediliction for a by-line cut back. I almost burst with pride
    I see what you did there. Very good.

Still, slightly better than your nickname on here. Which I have course never used.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I see what you did there. Very good.

Still, slightly better than your nickname on here. Which I have course never used.
    Is it Bignose? It's Bignose, isn't it?

He really does have a remarkable nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Some of auld fellas I saw the other playing the other day in Eltham had been round the sun a serious number of times. Must have been well over sixty, at least. some of them. The slowest bowler I've ever seen. Even Vince could have picked out his deliveries.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Why would you not play cricket again? Aren't you only, like, 40-something?

I now play 7-a-side football every Monday night with a bunch of local Faversham types (including two ex cons) who only ever seem to go to London to see their mates box in unlicensed fight clubs in Bethnal Green.

They've nicknamed me "Pull back Paul" due to my prediliction for a by-line cut back. I almost burst with pride
    Because I'm 46, my eyes have gone and I played at a reasonable enough standard that I always swore I wouldn't be one of those old ****s who hangs around playing in the stiffs with kids and similarly ancient types. Plus, everything in cricket apart from the batting and the banter is either shít (fielding) or I'm shít at it (bowling).

And are you sure they aren't calling you 'Pull-back Paul' because they've noticed you're circumcised?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Some of auld fellas I saw the other playing the other day in Eltham had been round the sun a serious number of times. Must have been well over sixty, at least. some of them. The slowest bowler I've ever seen. Even Vince could have picked out his deliveries.
    This is precisely what I wish to avoid. It's embarrassing. Sport is for young men. Old men should withdraw from it with at least some dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Because I'm 46, my eyes have gone and I played at a reasonable enough standard that I always swore I wouldn't be one of those old ****s who hangs around playing in the stiffs with kids and similarly ancient types. Plus, everything in cricket apart from the batting and the banter is either shít (fielding) or I'm shít at it (bowling).

And are you sure they aren't calling you 'Pull-back Paul' because they've noticed you're circumcised?
    The eyes did for me as well - never wanted to bat in glass and couldn't wear contacts comfortably. Plus as you say, fielding with a hangover