Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: 52 years ago today

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Ray Kennedy (2), Peter Storey and Eddie Kelly

Wait - can do better than that
    https://twitter.com/4949Undefeted/st...J0jpWqqJYpOEGQ
    You are a star LA, that's fab. The free-kick for the second goal is right in front of the schoolboys' section. There is someone who looks a lot like me at 16 secs! I was 12, not long moved to England, living in Mill Hill East.
    Main memory is of climbing the dark steps up then seeing the green pitch for the first time before descending. We stood below the surface of the pitch. The half-time scoreboard letters!
    Had taken myself to Underhill the Saturday before, Barnet 2 Telford United 0.

Quote Originally Posted by pjlincs View Post
    You are a star LA, that's fab. The free-kick for the second goal is right in front of the schoolboys' section. There is someone who looks a lot like me at 16 secs! I was 12, not long moved to England, living in Mill Hill East.
    Main memory is of climbing the dark steps up then seeing the green pitch for the first time before descending. We stood below the surface of the pitch. The half-time scoreboard letters!
    Had taken myself to Underhill the Saturday before, Barnet 2 Telford United 0.
    Great memories, pj. My first game wasn't until New Year's Day 1987 3-1 win v Wimbledon. Similar experience of seeing the pitch for the first time. And then Charlie scored twice which made my day (Hayes pen the other goal)

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Great memories, pj. My first game wasn't until New Year's Day 1987 3-1 win v Wimbledon. Similar experience of seeing the pitch for the first time. And then Charlie scored twice which made my day (Hayes pen the other goal)
    My overriding memory of my first match (we beat Newcastle 4-2) was of my father telling me that the bloke next to him said we should leave early to avoid the rush. So we did, as I was desperately hoping to see a 5th go in.

No recollection of anyone singing 'is there a fire drill', mind you

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    My overriding memory of my first match (we beat Newcastle 4-2) was of my father telling me that the bloke next to him said we should leave early to avoid the rush. So we did, as I was desperately hoping to see a 5th go in.

Probably not the last time someone thought it best you leave early tbf

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post

Have a vague memory of us beating Newcastle 4-2 and 4-0 in the space of a few days, presumably league and cup.
    Evening games generally involved a long lonely wait on Finchley Central for a Mill Hill East spur train.
    Got a job in Woolworths in North Finchley at age 14 which curtailed Saturday matches. Evening Standard after work for results, consumed alongside bag of chips on bus ride home (221).