Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't think we can complain about Spurs there. THey didn't stop running, especially

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    That is the first time I have seen City put under any real pressure in months. Forest had a go for a while but didn't look terribly convincing.

Really shows you how poor the league is overall. The gap between the top sides and the majority of the rest is enormous.
    They were there for the taking that 1st half, they looked like we did against Villa, not at the races.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    They were there for the taking that 1st half, they looked like we did against Villa, not at the races.
    I only watched the last half an hour. For a second I got Michael Thomas.vibes when Son went through. Only briefly 😞

We've done all we could do. It just isn't enough. They're unstoppable

I only watched the last half an hour. For a second I got Michael Thomas.vibes when Son went through. Only briefly 😞

We've done all we could do. It just isn't enough. They're unstoppable
    1st half, they could barely string a pass together.

Still amazed they didn't even have a look at KdB's position for the 1st goal, looked mighty close to offside.

I had the first part of my original Michael Thomas vibes in that I was out of my chair in expectation. Unfortunately the second part where I jump up and smash my head against the ceiling didn't happen. Sad scenes.

United had a gigantic financial advantage over everyone in the 90s. OK, it's not cheating, but it provides the same advantage.

I believe we spent a few Bob in the 30s as well.
    But it was legal. There were a big five in the late 80s, but when stadiums had to become all-seater, arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton all saw their capacities decline from c.60k to 40k or less while Old Trafford was able to expand to 75k because it's built-in Mancunian slumland. that gave them a major advantage, as did the fact that their golden generation of kids coincided with Premier League and Champions League money.

So yes, they had a major advantage but they didn't cheat. It's not the same as getting paid varsity over market rate for a sponsorship deal with a company connected to the clubs owners that is nothing more than a brass name plaque in a Mayfair office, a company that does nothing and has no income or turnover. That's just simply cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    But it was legal. There were a big five in the late 80s, but when stadiums had to become all-seater, arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton all saw their capacities decline from c.60k to 40k or less while Old Trafford was able to expand to 75k because it's built-in Mancunian slumland. that gave them a major advantage, as did the fact that their golden generation of kids coincided with Premier League and Champions League money.

So yes, they had a major advantage but they didn't cheat. It's not the same as getting paid varsity over market rate for a sponsorship deal with a company connected to the clubs owners that is nothing more than a brass name plaque in a Mayfair office, a company that does nothing and has no income or turnover. That's just simply cheating.
    I agree. I think the point I was trying to make is that the legality (or otherwise) shouldn't actually make any difference to how you view the achievements of the coach and the team.

Pep has had a huge illegal advantage, Fergie had a huge legal one. On the pitch, the financial advantage amounts to the same thing so to deride one achievement and celebrate the other doesn't make sense.

I think you can acknowledge the quality of Pep's work, and the brilliance of his sides, while at the same time calling the club a bunch of cheating ****s

The gap between Man City and Arsenal and the rest is enormous.
    Fixed that for you, p
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Fixed that for you, p
    I'll allow it 😁

I agree. I think the point I was trying to make is that the legality (or otherwise) shouldn't actually make any difference to how you view the achievements of the coach and the team.

Pep has had a huge illegal advantage, Fergie had a huge legal one. On the pitch, the financial advantage amounts to the same thing so to deride one achievement and celebrate the other doesn't make sense.

I think you can acknowledge the quality of Pep's work, and the brilliance of his sides, while at the same time calling the club a bunch of cheating ****s
    No, I'm afraid. For years it was argued that AW (for instance) simply couldn't AFFORD to play better football.

In a word, **** Pep. And his clubs.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    No, I'm afraid. For years it was argued that AW (for instance) simply couldn't AFFORD to play better football.

In a word, **** Pep. And his clubs.
    Well.... I can admire a good side, even if I hate them.

And, just for the record, I would choose City cheating off the pitch over United who spent a decade cheating on it.