Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
Delhi's old airport took hours but the new one is well quick. But when I went to Costa Rica about 8 years ago, I had a 4 hour stop-over in Miami. Took 2 hours to get through immigration and then had to get my bag and carry it {cos it wanted money for the trolley} and deal with security.

It was only because the nice Yank let me skip the X-ray queue after a while that I made my flight. I told him that at all other airports, your bags just stay with the airline, that I'd been sold a ticket by AA with 4 hours between flights and that I was probably gonna miss my connection given how big this x-ray queue was. When he found I was a Brit and was simply trying to get from London to Costa Rica, he said I could leave the queue and just go through.

Lovely chap, as I say. I'd have been stuck in Miami for a day and had to deal with changing my flight etc.

Will never fly into or via the US again.
US airports are the worst - JFK security is sheer carnage even if you're flying business class. Hopeless.

Been to Mumbai and Bangalore airports quite a few times and always found the immigration and security process to be very quick. Possibly because the % of passengers who are foreigners is far smaller than in airports like JFK or Heathrow. They also always seem to have a lot of immigration people working.

Now the trip from the airport into those cities was less palatable