Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
I believe that the 'triple punishment' of penalty, red card, and suspension (from next seasons's Europa League group stages) for soft fouls in the box had been removed. After all, if it is a penalty then there has been no denial of a goal-scoring opportunity.

Ridicules red card that ruined the match.
I didn’t think the Walcott penalty was a penalty at the time and I had no doubt whatsoever the Lewandowski decision was correct.

The yellow v red debate is being caused by the uncertainty created by the referee at the time, his haste perhaps or inexperience perhaps in rushing to the lesser card to then be advised and upgraded by his assistant (which was the correct thing to do, that is why they are there).

Had he just given the red from the off we would have accepted it, moaned of course but briefly and then moved on.

The resultant capitulation and failure in any way to get a hold on the game was a footballing disgrace and embarrassment for our great club. I note Sir C talking in a separate missive about the exuberant celebrations of the Hun as each goal went in, fair fúcks to them and I would expect our players to do the same in a game of such huge importance. They were enjoying themselves. Wd their players.

Wenger has come out and complained a little too much and in the process made himself look an utter ****, my opinion only, and a standpoint which of course most managers would have taken.

My mind goes back to that moment early in the second half when our bearded French world class striker, our main aerial threat, had a free header from about 5-6 yards and failed to convert. In that moment the match went, not the penalty as Bayern appeared to spark into life from their very understandable and comfortable first half slumber.