Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not convinced on the need for a striker this summer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm not convinced on the need for a striker this summer

Firstly, we lead the league in goals scored, not convinced at all the an out and out no. 9 would result in more goals (sorry red).

Secondly, if you assume that Rice's best position is further forward in midfield, then there is no room in midfield for Havertz so that means he has to start in the false 9 position where he has been excellent.

I can see us improving next year by having (hopefully) a full year of Timber at LB, by buying a wide attacking player that is an improvement on Trossard/Martinelli (also providing more depth there) and by a very young team being a year older.

That should be enough imo.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Firstly, we lead the league in goals scored, not convinced at all the an out and out no. 9 would result in more goals (sorry red).

Secondly, if you assume that Rice's best position is further forward in midfield, then there is no room in midfield for Havertz so that means he has to start in the false 9 position where he has been excellent.

I can see us improving next year by having (hopefully) a full year of Timber at LB, by buying a wide attacking player that is an improvement on Trossard/Martinelli (also providing more depth there) and by a very young team being a year older.

A proper striker would be nice, although as I've said many times, I'd like to see Martinelli given a go. Loads of pace, good finisher, could do the job everyone wants us to pay a fortune for Isak for.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    A proper striker would be nice, although as I've said many times, I'd like to see Martinelli given a go. Loads of pace, good finisher, could do the job everyone wants us to pay a fortune for Isak for.
    The issue with Martinelli is whether his game with his back to goal is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    The issue with Martinelli is whether his game with his back to goal is good enough.
    I am not sure Arteta is as fond as Martinelli. for a long while he didn't paly him and seemed to want to replace him with Mudryk.

Also I remember Arsenal posting clips and people saying Arteta was converting him to a striker.

I love Martinelli he's clearly so talented. but I don't think he's been that great this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I am not sure Arteta is as fond as Martinelli. for a long while he didn't paly him and seemed to want to replace him with Mudryk.

Also I remember Arsenal posting clips and people saying Arteta was converting him to a striker.

I love Martinelli he's clearly so talented. but I don't think he's been that great this year.
    He's still young and he will grow. At the moment he doesn't seem patient enough for the role, he always wants the ball at his feet.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

I hate to say it but I agree with you

I think we need a realistic option to cover Saka (one Arteta is actually willing to use) and another midfielder. And you would expect Ramsdale to leave, meaning we will need a number 2 keeper.

I hate to say it but I agree with you

I think we need a realistic option to cover Saka (one Arteta is actually willing to use) and another midfielder. And you would expect Ramsdale to leave, meaning we will need a number 2 keeper.
    Yes, a new keeper to replace Ramsdale, a new DM option to replace Partey if he leaves and because both Jorginho and Partey are the wrong side of 30, and another attacking option would be fine.

We have depth all over the pitch but they have to improve enough that Arteta will start using them. Odegaard is a good example. He plays too much because Arteta still doesn't seem to trust ESR or Vieira enough. But if you tried to buy someone to provide depth, it might be hard to find someone better than those two who would be willing to be 2nd choice.

Goes back to my point about the team improving just by being a year older, it has to happen.

Yes, a new keeper to replace Ramsdale, a new DM option to replace Partey if he leaves and because both Jorginho and Partey are the wrong side of 30, and another attacking option would be fine.

We have depth all over the pitch but they have to improve enough that Arteta will start using them. Odegaard is a good example. He plays too much because Arteta still doesn't seem to trust ESR or Vieira enough. But if you tried to buy someone to provide depth, it might be hard to find someone better than those two who would be willing to be 2nd choice.

Goes back to my point about the team improving just by being a year older, it has to happen.
    Trouble with Odegaard is he is always going to play when fit. He isn't just the fulcrum of our possession and captain, he is also the lead point in the high press, the organising pivot. You are talking about being able to rest him about 4 or 5 times a year, at key points.

Same with Saka to an extent. But as you say, if he isn't going to use Smith Rowe and Nelson, there isn't much point in keeping them.

Trouble with Odegaard is he is always going to play when fit. He isn't just the fulcrum of our possession and captain, he is also the lead point in the high press, the organising pivot. You are talking about being able to rest him about 4 or 5 times a year, at key points.

Same with Saka to an extent. But as you say, if he isn't going to use Smith Rowe and Nelson, there isn't much point in keeping them.
    That's true but change (as in certain players playing more or less, new players coming in and others leaving) is inevitable.

We will not be the same next season; an evolving team means we don't need to think in terms of like-for-like.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    That's true but change (as in certain players playing more or less, new players coming in and others leaving) is inevitable.

We will not be the same next season; an evolving team means we don't need to think in terms of like-for-like.
    Good, as long as we are not exchanging like for don't like.

Arteta is never satisfied, thank god 😁