Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Precisely that. Our blueprint against the better teams this season has been to use Jorginho and Rice. In easier games he has used Rice at the base of midfield with Havertz or Trossard in a more advanced role. I am not convinced it is ideal, or necessary as a starting point in any game. Against a good side it isn't too difficult for them to create overloads in midfield or to force you sideways in possession.

It didn't work at all in previous seasons. One of the reasons it has been more successful this season is that Odegaard has developed his game in deeper areas and is happy to come deeper to get on the ball. As good as he is at it, it does mean he spends less time in the areas of threat.

I think we will be signing a new midfielder in the summer with a skillset similar to Jorginho. Declan Rice gives Arteta so many options as he can adapt his role to play alongside virtually anyone.
Yes. Unfortunately, he's at his best in a nuisance position which is already well-stocked and his purpose was to solve a problem that should logically, realistically already have BEEN solved sometime ago, via means that SHOULDN'T actually have solved the problem. If you follow.

I too blame Declan Rice and the captain. Little George as well, to a lesser extent.