Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: WES - remember our conversations 2-3 years ago?

WES - remember our conversations 2-3 years ago?

How we wanted to know if Ødin and ESR could play together?

It was tried once back then but didn't seem to work.

Well, I think we now know that it can. That was with a very rusty Partey and no Saka. When we have Dec behind them, it'll be sorted.

Also, I've always fancied ESR as a false 9 and I think that playing "left-8" means he can interchange with Kai {or Leo or Jesus} as well as interchanging with Gabby on the wings - that's where he was moved to after Ødin arrived.

I pray that he totally fulfils his potential.

And if Jesus plays, we have 7-8-9-10-11 in Herbie's attacking W formation. {Not our Herbie, the dead one with a bust, obv.}

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    How we wanted to know if Ødin and ESR could play together?

It was tried once back then but didn't seem to work.

Well, I think we now know that it can. That was with a very rusty Partey and no Saka. When we have Dec behind them, it'll be sorted.

Also, I've always fancied ESR as a false 9 and I think that playing "left-8" means he can interchange with Kai {or Leo or Jesus} as well as interchanging with Gabby on the wings - that's where he was moved to after Ødin arrived.

I pray that he totally fulfils his potential.

And if Jesus plays, we have 7-8-9-10-11 in Herbie's attacking W formation. {Not our Herbie, the dead one with a bust, obv.}
    He had a half decent game against a team that last won in black and white. Not an option against the better teams

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    He had a half decent game against a team that last won in black and white. Not an option against the better teams
    Precisely that. Our blueprint against the better teams this season has been to use Jorginho and Rice. In easier games he has used Rice at the base of midfield with Havertz or Trossard in a more advanced role. I am not convinced it is ideal, or necessary as a starting point in any game. Against a good side it isn't too difficult for them to create overloads in midfield or to force you sideways in possession.

It didn't work at all in previous seasons. One of the reasons it has been more successful this season is that Odegaard has developed his game in deeper areas and is happy to come deeper to get on the ball. As good as he is at it, it does mean he spends less time in the areas of threat.

I think we will be signing a new midfielder in the summer with a skillset similar to Jorginho. Declan Rice gives Arteta so many options as he can adapt his role to play alongside virtually anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Give him a chance.

He was back from injury but looked less rusty than Partey or Zinny.

Think you're writing him off too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Give him a chance.

He was back from injury but looked less rusty than Partey or Zinny.

Think you're writing him off too quickly.
    We've got too much money for a' that nowadays, G. Sadly, it's spoiled us, made us impatient.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Precisely that. Our blueprint against the better teams this season has been to use Jorginho and Rice. In easier games he has used Rice at the base of midfield with Havertz or Trossard in a more advanced role. I am not convinced it is ideal, or necessary as a starting point in any game. Against a good side it isn't too difficult for them to create overloads in midfield or to force you sideways in possession.

It didn't work at all in previous seasons. One of the reasons it has been more successful this season is that Odegaard has developed his game in deeper areas and is happy to come deeper to get on the ball. As good as he is at it, it does mean he spends less time in the areas of threat.

I think we will be signing a new midfielder in the summer with a skillset similar to Jorginho. Declan Rice gives Arteta so many options as he can adapt his role to play alongside virtually anyone.
    Yes. Unfortunately, he's at his best in a nuisance position which is already well-stocked and his purpose was to solve a problem that should logically, realistically already have BEEN solved sometime ago, via means that SHOULDN'T actually have solved the problem. If you follow.

I too blame Declan Rice and the captain. Little George as well, to a lesser extent.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Yes. Unfortunately, he's at his best in a nuisance position which is already well-stocked and his purpose was to solve a problem that should logically, realistically already have BEEN solved sometime ago, via means that SHOULDN'T actually have solved the problem. If you follow.

I too blame Declan Rice and the captain. Little George as well, to a lesser extent.
    Exactly. The problem with declan rice is that he offers too many solutions. This leaves us having to choose either the best solution or solving the biggest problem.

Fortunately, every problem is also an opportunity 😁