Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: IstanbulWimb

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Oh, come on, C. Are you really saying a man like you can't appreciate the glory of Lutyens' New Delhi?

You have gone down in my estimation.

Next you'll be telling me there's nothing special about his WW1 cemeteries in Flanders or the Cenotaph itself.

You can't have the India Gate war memorial on a par with a Gurgaon shopping centre.

I have looked at Google photos and they don't seem to have any cows. What's the point in building a Delhi suburb and making it look like Croydon* and not even letting the cows in?

{*Would suit Berni given that's where he schooled.}
    Lutyens’ New Delhi is hardly representative of Delhi as a whole, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Lutyens’ New Delhi is hardly representative of Delhi as a whole, is it?
    It's fairly representative of New Delhi as a whole, given he built it.

{And me and my native crew are all proud New Delhi boys. When you get an auto-rickshaw, once you get to old Delhi they moan like they've gone south of the river but worse. They think Old Delhiites a bit untermenscheny.}

My point is that I'm fairly sure that neither Gurgaon nor Nodia have anything remotely as beautiful as the most boring bit of Lutyens.

I've stayed in the Tibetan Colony a few times, and used to have to go to near the Red Fort/Chandi Chowk for 2-3 hours on business every trip. But the rest of the time I've been in New Delhi. That to me is Delhi.

Think Centre Ville vs the Banlieus in Paris, C. 20 arrondissements with a lot of Haussman, and then vast suburban slums full of chavs and grafitti.