Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looked good last night. But can anyone remember the last time we scored a direct

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Did AMN play for them on loan?

Btw, some great Titi FKs here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSfdfY9Ixg
    Yep, I think they had 5 double-barrelled surname on the pitch at once time

Poldi scored one for us, and nowadays he's a doner kebab kingpin.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Yeah, but he didn't start for a while. But if he only did it for 6 seasons, that's 2.5 a year when we've scored one in the last 2 years.

According to this, in the EPL, Beckham has scored 18, Ward-Prowse {who he?} 17, and Ronaldo, Zola and Titi 12 each.

3= in the all time list is quite prolific, no?

https://khelnow.com/football/2023-01...league-history

I remember watching one vs Juve from the North Bank. He was shooting against Buffon in the Clock End goal. As he was standing over the ball, the goal seemed to grow and I thought "wow, there's so much space." Top corner with Buffon static.

{I also remember a penalty vs Inter. We were 2-0 down before HT, attacking the CE. Got a pen. As Titi was waiting to start his run up, the goal shrank and I thought "there's no space for him to be able to score." He missed.}

But given the skill of Ødin and Saka {et al} we should be able to score at least 2 a season like Titi did, imo.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

I wanted us to sell young Reiss to them until I discovered the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Yep, I think they had 5 double-barrelled surname on the pitch at once time
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Poldi scored one for us, and nowadays he's a doner kebab kingpin.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.
    Have you ever tried a sheftali kebab? In my second year - 1990-1, with 2 of our house of six being scousers - we lived on Turnpike Lane. There was a little kebab shop called Pankyprious and the old Greek/Cypriot who ran it didn't do donners. Said it was bad meat. Nor chilli sauce - said it was to cover the taste of bad meat.

He did these Sheftalis - "minced lamb meat mixed with chopped onions, parsley and spices, formed into sausage like logs, and wrapped in the fat from a lamb's abdominal membrane."

Lush. 4 for a normal kebab, six for a large. Every night except Sunday when he was shut, I had a large sheftali and chips, no salad. £3.50, I think.

I'd love to find them again. There was a small, 6ft pool table in there at 30p a game. Blase, one of the scousers, was a pool whizz, and he'd come every night with his lead-lined cue and we'd play as many games as poss in the 15 mins it took to cook. Often managed five games.

Great year, other than the cup semi. Especially watching the 3-0 at Highbury and 1-0 at Anfield with them on the tv in the front room. 2 of my fave games ever. And Super Kev's goals during the run-in. Didn't go to a single lecture.

https://www.google.com/search?client...&bih=762&dpr=2

After uni, summer '92, Blase and me moved into a squat in Hackney and 2-3 months later, the Bedlam free rave sound system moved in. So we squatted and travelled the European teknivals doing free rave parties and festies all decade. His missus since '93/4 dumped him for me in '98-9 {though we'd been to India and St Martin together without him} and we're still together and still good mates with Blase. Might try to get some Sheftalis to bbq if, Ganpati willing, he can visit this summer with another of our LSE then squat posse.

Basically, if a donner is Poldi a sheftali is Titi. You should try won.

Yeah, but he didn't start for a while. But if he only did it for 6 seasons, that's 2.5 a year when we've scored one in the last 2 years.

According to this, in the EPL, Beckham has scored 18, Ward-Prowse {who he?} 17, and Ronaldo, Zola and Titi 12 each.

3= in the all time list is quite prolific, no?

https://khelnow.com/football/2023-01...league-history

I remember watching one vs Juve from the North Bank. He was shooting against Buffon in the Clock End goal. As he was standing over the ball, the goal seemed to grow and I thought "wow, there's so much space." Top corner with Buffon static.

{I also remember a penalty vs Inter. We were 2-0 down before HT, attacking the CE. Got a pen. As Titi was waiting to start his run up, the goal shrank and I thought "there's no space for him to be able to score." He missed.}

But given the skill of Ødin and Saka {et al} we should be able to score at least 2 a season like Titi did, imo.
    I mean look at the figures. The most prolific have such low numbers. Just a bonus imo
    Last edited by Luis Anaconda; 07-20-2023 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I mean look at the figures the most prolific have such low numbers. Just a bonus imo
    I see what you're saying. Yes, it is a bonus. {Like having a CH like Gabby who scores from corners.}

But if we say that Titi could score 2-3 a season while we got none last year, had we scored three, and had all three turned a draw into a win, we'd have won the league.

It's good that this is all I have to moan about with regards to the team and squad. But I just think that Ødin, Saka etc have so much talent they should be able to bang them in like Titi did.

Btw, what do you think's happening with ESR and Fabio? A fit ESR seemed as good as Saka 2-3 years ago. And ESR said that Fabio was by far the best player in the Euro U21s tournament they both played in.

At the start of last year, I thought Fabio was gonna be the long term GX replacement. With ESR cover for the wings and inside forward and perhaps a false 9.

Leo was playing in that inside forward role last night. {Some said he seemed Santi-esque.}. And Leo's such a good player and done so well for us that I get and like the idea of him being able to come on to cover the whole front line like Skiltord did in 2001-2, for example.

The two times the season before last that MA tried ESR and Ødin, it didn't work that well. But I really think it could with the inverted FB {like Zinny} forming a second DM shield. Plus Rice's ability there.

{I'd also love him there so we had 7-8-9-10-11 in all the right W-M forward line positions.}

But we've got to find a way of getting the best out of ESR and Fabio, even if only from the bench atm, or as cover for injuries.

In theory, I think we have more squad depth than we've had since peak-AW. Poss the most ever. KT , Kiwior, Timber, Tommi, Jorgy {even if TP5 goes}, ESR, Fabio, Leo, RN and Eddie. 2 and a bit years ago - i.e. before we'd signed White or Ødin permanently, we'd have been happy with that as a starting XI, pretty much. Eddie and RN might have worried us if they were the main men, but both have earned new deals cos MA has faith in them. {Both scored late winners that could have won us the league.} Can you think of a better B-team ever?

But they need to play. Look how highly Sambi was rated.

This season, please Ganpati, I want silverwear, sexy silverwear, and I want to see lots of Fabio's smile and hear the Saka and Emile Smith Rowe chant loads. Do you think I will?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    If a player has a double barrelled surname they usually play for Southampton
    Or our youth team