Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looked good last night. But can anyone remember the last time we scored a direct

Looked good last night. But can anyone remember the last time we scored a direct

free-kick?

I can't, and we have more players who should be able to that at pretty much any time since I've started watching us.

I remember when Titi started taking corners and FKs and he was woeful at the start but became probably the best FK taker I've ever seen from one of our players.

Surely at least one of Saka, Ødin, Gabby 2 or 3, Leo or Kai should be able to learn how to do it like Titi did.

Btw, Kai did well to win the header for Gabby 3 to win the pen.

But when did we last score a direct FK?

Ganpati bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    free-kick?

I can't, and we have more players who should be able to that at pretty much any time since I've started watching us.

I remember when Titi started taking corners and FKs and he was woeful at the start but became probably the best FK taker I've ever seen from one of our players.

Surely at least one of Saka, Ødin, Gabby 2 or 3, Leo or Kai should be able to learn how to do it like Titi did.

Ganpati bless.
    I think Direct Free kick goals are not that common in general
    there were only 17 of them I think in the whole league last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I think Direct Free kick goals are not that common in general
    there were only 17 of them I think in the whole league last year.
    Cheers. Didn't know that. But we did used to score a few each season. If their GK pulled off a great save in the top corner, I could accept that. But we're not hitting the target.

Didn't Pépé score one?

If we never score, they might as well foul us and take the yellows.

PS - The Times report is a laugh as Wazza Rooney is slagging the whole thing off. When asked what he'd learnt, he said absolutely nothing.

The seats by the dugout for his assistants were given to Apple employees. They had only 2 training sessions, one of which was open and on some strip of grass by their national momuments. And he said the refs are always shîte over there. Seemed to hate it.

Also think it funny that they had that stupid skills game the day before and everyone moaned that Kai couldn't score a volley. Yet last night he did. Good ball from Marqy, too. Like that won on debut for Eddie's winner. I'm happy for him and RN to be given a chance this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    free-kick?

Ganpati bless.
    Odegaard v Burnley September 21 I would say. I think as Pat said free kick goals are always rare and even more so since the player lying on the ground behind the wall came in as a tactic. The number that hits the wall that can jumped freely seems to have gone up quite a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Odegaard v Burnley September 21 I would say. I think as Pat said free kick goals are always rare and even more so since the player lying on the ground behind the wall came in as a tactic. The number that hits the wall that can jumped freely seems to have gone up quite a lot
    Cheers, LA. Forgotten about that one. Just looked. Good FK, so why can't he do it more regularly? Given the talent we have, we'll win loads of FKs on the edge of the box so we need someone who can score as often as peak Titi did.

Cheers, LA. Forgotten about that one. Just looked. Good FK, so why can't he do it more regularly? Given the talent we have, we'll win loads of FKs on the edge of the box so we need someone who can score as often as peak Titi did.
    Even Henry only scored 15 in 370 games - it just isn't a particularly prolific way of scoring

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Even Henry only scored 15 in 370 games - it just isn't a particularly prolific way of scoring
    Yeah, but he didn't start for a while. But if he only did it for 6 seasons, that's 2.5 a year when we've scored one in the last 2 years.

According to this, in the EPL, Beckham has scored 18, Ward-Prowse {who he?} 17, and Ronaldo, Zola and Titi 12 each.

3= in the all time list is quite prolific, no?

https://khelnow.com/football/2023-01...league-history

I remember watching one vs Juve from the North Bank. He was shooting against Buffon in the Clock End goal. As he was standing over the ball, the goal seemed to grow and I thought "wow, there's so much space." Top corner with Buffon static.

{I also remember a penalty vs Inter. We were 2-0 down before HT, attacking the CE. Got a pen. As Titi was waiting to start his run up, the goal shrank and I thought "there's no space for him to be able to score." He missed.}

But given the skill of Ødin and Saka {et al} we should be able to score at least 2 a season like Titi did, imo.

Yeah, but he didn't start for a while. But if he only did it for 6 seasons, that's 2.5 a year when we've scored one in the last 2 years.

According to this, in the EPL, Beckham has scored 18, Ward-Prowse {who he?} 17, and Ronaldo, Zola and Titi 12 each.

3= in the all time list is quite prolific, no?

https://khelnow.com/football/2023-01...league-history

I remember watching one vs Juve from the North Bank. He was shooting against Buffon in the Clock End goal. As he was standing over the ball, the goal seemed to grow and I thought "wow, there's so much space." Top corner with Buffon static.

{I also remember a penalty vs Inter. We were 2-0 down before HT, attacking the CE. Got a pen. As Titi was waiting to start his run up, the goal shrank and I thought "there's no space for him to be able to score." He missed.}

But given the skill of Ødin and Saka {et al} we should be able to score at least 2 a season like Titi did, imo.
    If a player has a double barrelled surname they usually play for Southampton

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    If a player has a double barrelled surname they usually play for Southampton
    Did AMN play for them on loan?

Btw, some great Titi FKs here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSfdfY9Ixg