Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So is that it then? Incomings transfers all completed

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal Alcoholic Review View Post
    I suspect all of Tierney, Partey and Xhaka (and erm Lonkonga) will have basically been replaced With

Kiwior as a ball playing cb used as a left back in the Arteta system where he tucks in. I wouldn't be getting rid of Tierney in a million years but Arteta just doesn't want him in his system.

Rice coming in for Partey. Rice is a great player but he just wasn't better than Partey last season. I get it he has to go because of his sex life though.

Havertz has basically come to take Xhaka's spot. He may well match or better Xhaka's very good goals and assists stats from last season but i just can't see how he's going to be better with anything else. This looks a massive gamble we've taken. Certain games (if not all of them) i'd probably prefer Zinchenko in that position.

Our young great players can all go up a gear too of course. But whether we're going to improve on last season's performances will probably come down to whether Havertz can hit the ground running and naill his starting spot.
    Literally, by any meaningful measure, Rice was better than Partey and in a struggling side.

I suspect all of Tierney, Partey and Xhaka (and erm Lonkonga) will have basically been replaced With

Kiwior as a ball playing cb used as a left back in the Arteta system where he tucks in. I wouldn't be getting rid of Tierney in a million years but Arteta just doesn't want him in his system.

Rice coming in for Partey. Rice is a great player but he just wasn't better than Partey last season. I get it he has to go because of his sex life though.

Havertz has basically come to take Xhaka's spot. He may well match or better Xhaka's very good goals and assists stats from last season but i just can't see how he's going to be better with anything else. This looks a massive gamble we've taken. Certain games (if not all of them) i'd probably prefer Zinchenko in that position.

Our young great players can all go up a gear too of course. But whether we're going to improve on last season's performances will probably come down to whether Havertz can hit the ground running and naill his starting spot.
    Not unfair points but I feel the extra depth we have (and Smith Rowe will be like a new signing ) should be considered. The point about young players going up a gear is very important though - this is where Mikel will earn his money imo. To keep that momentum and that improvement in players like Saka and Martinelli

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Literally, by any meaningful measure, Rice was better than Partey and in a struggling side.
    He just wasn't. All the talk all last season was about who in the league was the daddy in cm. Partey, Casemiro or Rodri. Rice wasn't in that mix. There's no two ways about it. For about 80% of the season Partey was exceptional. He was playing at the level of a prime Vieira.
    Feck Cultural Marxist BLM

He just wasn't. All the talk all last season was about who in the league was the daddy in cm. Partey, Casemiro or Rodri. Rice wasn't in that mix. There's no two ways about it. For about 80% of the season Partey was exceptional. He was playing at the level of a prime Vieira.
    Because he was in a relegation battle, look at the the other 3 you mention, they were all in Top 4 chase.

Rice carried that West Ham side both out of relegation and to a European (Mickey Mouse) trophy. Watch Rice for England as well and he always puts in an excellent performance.

Nelson, apparently injured in that friendly game......so some things don't change
    He'll be like a new signing in late autumn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    He'll be like a new signing in late autumn.
    I suspect he's another Wilshere/Diaby, very fortunate to get a 4 year contract, imo

Two things:

1) I would have agreed with you at Christmas, 2nd half Partey was poor, possibly because he expected to be incarcerated at any time.
    2) Rice, in addition to being as good a player as Partey, is much younger and more physical - something I felt we lacked last year in midfield in the big games

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Two things:

1) I would have agreed with you at Christmas, 2nd half Partey was poor, possibly because he expected to be incarcerated at any time.
    2) Rice, in addition to being as good a player as Partey, is much younger and more physical - something I felt we lacked last year in midfield in the big games
    He also has that Vieira-esque ability (French one, not the skinny lad) to carry the ball past players and break lines in the process. I think Odegaard is going to love playing with him.

I suspect he's another Wilshere/Diaby, very fortunate to get a 4 year contract, imo
    No, Eddie waited all that time to prove he was an AFC squad player. Only the Auba madness and Laca injury gave him his chance and he took it.

When Jeez got injured, we were 5 pts ahead and were still 5 ahead when he came back. {And if Ødin hadn't missed that sitter after Eddie genius down the left put it on a plate for him just before the other lot scored, we'd have had an extra 3 points.}

RN* waited his chance. Came on for Bukayo and scored 2 and made 1.

That 97th minute winner would have been joint second {with Charlie '71, behind Mickey Thomas} in greatest ever goals had we won the league.

Give him a chance. His games for us last year were more productive that Mud-Rik for the Chavs and how much did he cost? RN's onlyb 2-3 years older, no?

*RN also shares my initials so he must be a God incarnate. Fact. Thus, I have faith in him.

Edit - at diff times, two great MFs said JW/AD had the most potential of anyone they played. It was Xavi or Inesta about Jack and some Frog intl MF about Abou.

If RN at his best can match those, even if he's a crock, he's worth the gamble. If he can match them and stay fit then we've just saved Havertz-to-Declan money.

And he's Hale End. Did I mention he shares my initials?
    Last edited by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult; 07-17-2023 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    No, Eddie waited all that time to prove he was an AFC squad player. Only the Auba madness and Laca injury gave him his chance and he took it.

When Jeez got injured, we were 5 pts ahead and were still 5 ahead when he came back. {And if Ødin hadn't missed that sitter after Eddie genius down the left put it on a plate for him just before the other lot scored, we'd have had an extra 3 points.}

RN* waited his chance. Came on for Bukayo and scored 2 and made 1.

That 97th minute winner would have been joint second {with Charlie '71, behind Mickey Thomas} in greatest ever goals had we won the league.

Give him a chance. His games for us last year were more productive that Mud-Rik for the Chavs and how much did he cost? RN's onlyb 2-3 years older, no?

*RN also shares my initials so he must be a God incarnate. Fact. Thus, I have faith in him.
    My issue is not with his ability, more that he keeps picking up injuries