Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: The Ashes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    That's fair, seems to be a European thingy.

I'm in Paris twice a month and it's been pissing on me there as well.

Sunny in Villamoura, though.
    Milan was moist as well

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Milan was moist as well
    For those of us who don't keep up with these things but really enjoy the Ashes - is there strong or weak favourite either way?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    For those of us who don't keep up with these things but really enjoy the Ashes - is there strong or weak favourite either way?
    I would make Australia strong favourites personally - amazing what McCullum and Stokes have achieved but I would say Australia are stronger in every area, particularly with Stokes's injury situation. Their bowling unit is impressive (and they have a spinner) and batting pretty strong as well. We rely too much on inspiration rather than perspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I would make Australia strong favourites personally - amazing what McCullum and Stokes have achieved but I would say Australia are stronger in every area, particularly with Stokes's injury situation. Their bowling unit is impressive (and they have a spinner) and batting pretty strong as well. We rely too much on inspiration rather than perspiration
    I think our batting is stronger but bowling, they edge it. Waiting for Bairstow to drop Smith on 7 and he then goes to make a daddy hundred.*

*No, I'm not going to let the Foakes omission go

I think our batting is stronger but bowling, they edge it. Waiting for Bairstow to drop Smith on 7 and he then goes to make a daddy hundred.*

*No, I'm not going to let the Foakes omission go
    Our batting has more depth but they have two "gun" batsmen to our one. You do realise Foakes has dropped far more chances than Bairstow as a keeper? Probably when he has played on turners on India tbf but you don't need a world-class keeper unless you are playing a world-class spinner (and we are not) or on Bunsen's. I do think Foakes has been hard done by of course

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Our batting has more depth but they have two "gun" batsmen to our one. You do realise Foakes has dropped far more chances than Bairstow as a keeper? Probably when he has played on turners on India tbf but you don't need a world-class keeper unless you are playing a world-class spinner (and we are not) or on Bunsen's. I do think Foakes has been hard done by of course
    Root & Brook (and possibly Pope) I'd say are all world class and would walk into the Aussie batting line up

I think Foakes on current form (and actually playing) has a stronger case than the captain.....

Root & Brook (and possibly Pope) I'd say are all world class and would walk into the Aussie batting line up

I think Foakes on current form (and actually playing) has a stronger case than the captain.....
    Brook and Pope will be undoubtedly - hopefully they will prove so this summer. Pope's average is poor for a player of his talent though. Brook's is of course ridiculous. I'm just naturally pessimistic when it comes to the cricket team