Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I think our batting is stronger but bowling, they edge it. Waiting for Bairstow to drop Smith on 7 and he then goes to make a daddy hundred.*

*No, I'm not going to let the Foakes omission go
    Our batting has more depth but they have two "gun" batsmen to our one. You do realise Foakes has dropped far more chances than Bairstow as a keeper? Probably when he has played on turners on India tbf but you don't need a world-class keeper unless you are playing a world-class spinner (and we are not) or on Bunsen's. I do think Foakes has been hard done by of course

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Our batting has more depth but they have two "gun" batsmen to our one. You do realise Foakes has dropped far more chances than Bairstow as a keeper? Probably when he has played on turners on India tbf but you don't need a world-class keeper unless you are playing a world-class spinner (and we are not) or on Bunsen's. I do think Foakes has been hard done by of course
    Root & Brook (and possibly Pope) I'd say are all world class and would walk into the Aussie batting line up

I think Foakes on current form (and actually playing) has a stronger case than the captain.....

Root & Brook (and possibly Pope) I'd say are all world class and would walk into the Aussie batting line up

I think Foakes on current form (and actually playing) has a stronger case than the captain.....
    Brook and Pope will be undoubtedly - hopefully they will prove so this summer. Pope's average is poor for a player of his talent though. Brook's is of course ridiculous. I'm just naturally pessimistic when it comes to the cricket team

Brook and Pope will be undoubtedly - hopefully they will prove so this summer. Pope's average is poor for a player of his talent though. Brook's is of course ridiculous. I'm just naturally pessimistic when it comes to the cricket team
    It should be a cracking series, but yes, I fully expect us to mess it up.

It should be a cracking series, but yes, I fully expect us to mess it up.
    Ollie Robinson has to play, just dismissed Marnus Labuschagne for 1

Archer out is a bugger but the Foakes thing makes sense for Ireland - let all seven batsman have a shoot out and can pick from there. I quite the idea of Stokes opening. Probably has a better technique than most. Foakes opening would be an option for me
    I like the sound of that. My idea was to put Root as opener. Like his first Ashes series when he scored 180 or something. Brook, Bairstow, Stokes and Foakes at 4-7. But Brook before he got his place, he's talked to YCCC about opening as he thought it was his best chance of breaking into the Eng team.

He says his fave shot is a forward defensive that dribbles to point.

But if Foakes opens you have the Alec Stewart problem - 'keeping all day and then having to open the batting straight away.

Ollie Robinson has to play, just dismissed Marnus Labuschagne for 1
    Arguably our most important player this summer - certainly bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I like the sound of that. My idea was to put Root as opener. Like his first Ashes series when he scored 180 or something. Brook, Bairstow, Stokes and Foakes at 4-7. But Brook before he got his place, he's talked to YCCC about opening as he thought it was his best chance of breaking into the Eng team.

He says his fave shot is a forward defensive that dribbles to point.

But if Foakes opens you have the Alec Stewart problem - 'keeping all day and then having to open the batting straight away.
    Indeed - though if it is particularly long you can always throw the gloves to Jonny (thinking outside the box )

Arguably our most important player this summer - certainly bowler
    I think Wood has to stay fit as well. Do you risk playing Broad and Anderson?

I think Wood has to stay fit as well. Do you risk playing Broad and Anderson?
    Yes but maybe not both. Wood and Robinson start the opener for me, with Anderson if fit. And Leach (for his batting)