Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CricketWIMB

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Not going to happen. Think he burnt his bridges with Stokes et al.

Wasn't Leach the leading wicket taker (Tests) in the world for 2022?
    He was never that good in Tests anyway. Would rather have Moeen

Leach was third in the world last year (but at an average of almost 40). Rabada and (more worryingly) Lyon were above him

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I'd rather we tried to persuade Rashid to have one last red ball hurrah.

Am I right in thinking we're using that bloody Kookaburra ball for the series?
    No - still Dukes. Have been using the Kookaburra in some rounds of the CC I believe (or plan to)

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    No - still Dukes. Have been using the Kookaburra in some rounds of the CC I believe (or plan to)
    Ah that's it, why? Just to get County players used to both balls in case of England call up for Overseas trips?

Leach was third in the world last year (but at an average of almost 40). Rabada and (more worryingly) Lyon were above him
    Agree he's not a top class spinner but is, unfortunately; the best we have.

Not sure there is many promising young wons coming through either.

Ah that's it, why? Just to get County players used to both balls in case of England call up for Overseas trips?
    Think so. Dukes didn't win many friends last summer though (and Aussies also used it in some Sheffield Shield matches)

Surely we can find Rashid Kahn a long-lost English Grandmother?

Or failing that pay him to live here for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Agree he's not a top class spinner but is, unfortunately; the best we have.

Not sure there is many promising young wons coming through either.
    Yeah. Ahmed looks useful but think he will be more of a batsmen

Yeah. Ahmed looks useful but think he will be more of a batsmen
    Forgot about him. I have it on reasonably good authority that he only got his debut last season in light of the Azeem Rafiq stuff. Though he did quite well... was a little bit of a 'your face fits' situation.

But hope he continues his development. Hard to wrist-spinners in England to get enough overs under their belt. Should send him to India to play some 1st class cricket.

1st XI for The Ashes (assuming everyone is fit) for the 1st Test

Crawley
    Duckett/Bairstow
    Pope
    Root
    Bairstow/Leach
    Stokes
    Foakes
    Wood
    Archer
    Broad
    Anderson
    It won't happen, obv, but the ideal solution would be to have Root opening like he used to. Didn't he score 180 opening with Cook that first Ashes when we dropped Compton? Think he got out playing a scoop shot or something.

He opened in CC, has proved he can open in tests against the Aussies with a new Dukes ball. Has got the defence and can build an innings while also being able to score at Bazball rates when he's in without simply slogging.

Brooke and YJB at 4 and 5. Stokes and Foakes. That's a decent team. Need Stokes to be able to bowl, though. And are crying out for a Swann who is a top drawer spinner who can bat at 8.

But apparently Brooke pre-call up had been talking to YCCC about opening as he thought that would give him the best chance of breaking into the England XI. Pity it didn't happen cos he says his fave shot is the forward defensive that sees the ball dribble to point.

If we could replace Zak with the opener Root was before we moved him to no. 4 we'd be sorted.

But I worry that if Stokes doesn't bowl and we pick Leach when it's not turning, then it's too much for 3 seamers. JA, Ollie and Archer?