Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: WES - remember the summer before last, we discussed whether Ødin and ESR could play

WES - remember the summer before last, we discussed whether Ødin and ESR could play

in the middle together?

And the couple of times it was tried at the start of that season it didn't work.

Do you think it could work now, given the formation has changed? Xhaka {and Fabio when he replaced him} plays as an inside left, the mirror of Ødin.

And Zinchenko tucking inside helps allow him do this - very different to KT3 playing as an extra winger meaning Martinelli often moved to inside-forward.

I'm obviously not saying drop Xhaka for him when he's back, but if he was out, could ESR play there? If Ødin was out, too, play Fabio and ESR as inside-forwards.

I'm sure it's having a RB {Tommy or now White} tucking in a bit allows Ødin to play where he does.

And if we did play ESR in GX's role, we'd have nos. 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 all in the right places across the forward line.

We seem to be playing somewhere between a 2-3-2-3, with both full backs inverted either side of Partey.

Or actually, more like Chapman's WM formation. 3 at the back, and then Zinchenko tucks in and has Partey along side him.

GX has been great since he became an inside left. Fabio made the first from there as his replacement, and if Martinelli isn't coming inside all the time, then I'm sure ESR could play there, too.

I love the idea of us copying Chapman. Ganpati willing, we can have as much success with this team as the one he built.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    in the middle together?

And the couple of times it was tried at the start of that season it didn't work.

Do you think it could work now, given the formation has changed? Xhaka {and Fabio when he replaced him} plays as an inside left, the mirror of Ødin.

And Zinchenko tucking inside helps allow him do this - very different to KT3 playing as an extra winger meaning Martinelli often moved to inside-forward.

I'm obviously not saying drop Xhaka for him when he's back, but if he was out, could ESR play there? If Ødin was out, too, play Fabio and ESR as inside-forwards.

I'm sure it's having a RB {Tommy or now White} tucking in a bit allows Ødin to play where he does.

And if we did play ESR in GX's role, we'd have nos. 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 all in the right places across the forward line.
    Yes, I think that's a good point, ESR is a no. 10 for me but he could certainly play where Xhaka is playing now.

I'd like him to be playing anywhere as it stands!

I think the difference is really the improved play at CB, I used to think we needed Xhaka to play farther back to help defensively with Partey, and that's something he really isn't very good at. But he's playing farther forward this year and we're leading the league in goals conceded. That's in part because we're keeping the ball better but also because of our CBs and White playing at a level beyond what we've had recently.

ESR and Vieira can step in for Xhaka or Ode imo so lot's of cover there. Less so at no. 9 and I'm not sure Sami/Elneny isn't so bad as cover for Partey. It's more Martinelli and Saka I worry about, hence the rumours about this Ukrainian chap maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Yes, I think that's a good point, ESR is a no. 10 for me but he could certainly play where Xhaka is playing now.

I'd like him to be playing anywhere as it stands!

I think the difference is really the improved play at CB, I used to think we needed Xhaka to play farther back to help defensively with Partey, and that's something he really isn't very good at. But he's playing farther forward this year and we're leading the league in goals conceded. That's in part because we're keeping the ball better but also because of our CBs and White playing at a level beyond what we've had recently.

ESR and Vieira can step in for Xhaka or Ode imo so lot's of cover there. Less so at no. 9 and I'm not sure Sami/Elneny isn't so bad as cover for Partey. It's more Martinelli and Saka I worry about, hence the rumours about this Ukrainian chap maybe.
    Yup. Agree with that, basically.

With ESR back he can also cover on the for Saka and Marti. Remember when we played him at 10 on Boxing Day and it transformed us but we then signed Odin, moved ESR wide and we played ever better?

And I know it wasn't against City or whoever but when Reiss came on against Forest, he did rather well.

Thing about Granit is that he always said he was a deep lying playmaker, yet he's not great defensively. Yet here we are playing him in an old skool inside-left role {or "left 8" or "Next to Odin behind the front three" and we've seen a totally transformed player.

We thought he was about long balls from inside our half, spreading play. But now he's in and around the oppo's box creating and scoring. {Fabio's covered for both of them and has at least one goal and one assist in the league.}