Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 52 years ago today

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Great memories, pj. My first game wasn't until New Year's Day 1987 3-1 win v Wimbledon. Similar experience of seeing the pitch for the first time. And then Charlie scored twice which made my day (Hayes pen the other goal)
    My overriding memory of my first match (we beat Newcastle 4-2) was of my father telling me that the bloke next to him said we should leave early to avoid the rush. So we did, as I was desperately hoping to see a 5th go in.

No recollection of anyone singing 'is there a fire drill', mind you

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    My overriding memory of my first match (we beat Newcastle 4-2) was of my father telling me that the bloke next to him said we should leave early to avoid the rush. So we did, as I was desperately hoping to see a 5th go in.

Probably not the last time someone thought it best you leave early tbf

Have a vague memory of us beating Newcastle 4-2 and 4-0 in the space of a few days, presumably league and cup.
    Evening games generally involved a long lonely wait on Finchley Central for a Mill Hill East spur train.
    Got a job in Woolworths in North Finchley at age 14 which curtailed Saturday matches. Evening Standard after work for results, consumed alongside bag of chips on bus ride home (221).

I don't think the near post corner was ever rocket science. The amazing thing with that side was the frequency with which it worked - much to do with the brilliance of Marwood's set pieces. Think we have scored a goal like this this season but Vardy provided the flick on
    Saka and Martinelli can both take a good corner. Saliba's a big lad. And Gabby has a decent goal return for a CH. I think we should do it more.

Gutted we didn't invent it. But at least I now know that Stroller used to do the near post flick on himself. Wish my old man was alive to ask him about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Saka and Martinelli can both take a good corner. Saliba's a big lad. And Gabby has a decent goal return for a CH. I think we should do it more.

Gutted we didn't invent it. But at least I now know that Stroller used to do the near post flick on himself. Wish my old man was alive to ask him about it.
    Vieira looks like he hasn't a decent corner in. You don't exactly need him in the box either

Vieira looks like he hasn't a decent corner in. You don't exactly need him in the box either
    Wanna try that again in English, Nazi boy?

Good thing you aren't in journalism or anything

BTW, did you hear about the Compton Arms? Some local slag was trying to get it shut down because it was too noisy. And I haven't been there since we watched Barca maul us there!

Google it, not sure where it got to.

BTW, did you hear about the Compton Arms? Some local slag was trying to get it shut down because it was too noisy. And I haven't been there since we watched Barca maul us there!

Google it, not sure where it got to.
    I did - was getting regular updates. Fortunately sense has prevailed and it has been saved

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...gGJhzm8ulbbL5Q
    Who know one day we may have a pint in there again

Eh? Has or hasn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Eh? Has or hasn't?
    Should have been has - I blame mods for changing my post