Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 52 years ago today

52 years ago today

My first trip to Highbury. In the schoolboys' section. Arsenal 4 Everton 0.

Quote Originally Posted by pjlincs View Post
    My first trip to Highbury. In the schoolboys' section. Arsenal 4 Everton 0.
    About 6 weeks after my conception if I've done the maths right. Who scored?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    About 6 weeks after my conception if I've done the maths right. Who scored?
    Ray Kennedy (2), Peter Storey and Eddie Kelly

Wait - can do better than that
    https://twitter.com/4949Undefeted/st...J0jpWqqJYpOEGQ

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post

A corner, a free kick, a throw in and a pen.

Did footballers back then actually pass the ball with their feet? Let's be honest, it was really quite **** back then.

We loved it at the time of course, but in hindsight it was pretty ****.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    A corner, a free kick, a throw in and a pen.

Did footballers back then actually pass the ball with their feet? Let's be honest, it was really quite **** back then.

We loved it at the time of course, but in hindsight it was pretty ****.
    Could hardly play Wengerball on that surface but always find it funny that John Radford - a brilliant centre forward and constant aerial threat –*took long throw ins. Wtf?

You are a star LA, that's fab. The free-kick for the second goal is right in front of the schoolboys' section. There is someone who looks a lot like me at 16 secs! I was 12, not long moved to England, living in Mill Hill East.
    Main memory is of climbing the dark steps up then seeing the green pitch for the first time before descending. We stood below the surface of the pitch. The half-time scoreboard letters!
    Had taken myself to Underhill the Saturday before, Barnet 2 Telford United 0.

Hang on. Is that GG {him, not me} doing a near post flick-on from the corner for the first goal? If so, wow, just wow. We basically won two titles cos he taught Stevie Bould how to do that. I thought Stroller had invented it - never realised Bertie Mee taught him how to do it in the first place.

We should keep doing it. I reckon Saliba could learn. Gabby and Jesus at the back post. Granit blocking the 'keeper. Best corner routine ever. {Though that ball for Cedric on the edge of the box last season was quite cool.}

Quote Originally Posted by pjlincs View Post
    You are a star LA, that's fab. The free-kick for the second goal is right in front of the schoolboys' section. There is someone who looks a lot like me at 16 secs! I was 12, not long moved to England, living in Mill Hill East.
    Main memory is of climbing the dark steps up then seeing the green pitch for the first time before descending. We stood below the surface of the pitch. The half-time scoreboard letters!
    Had taken myself to Underhill the Saturday before, Barnet 2 Telford United 0.
    Great memories, pj. My first game wasn't until New Year's Day 1987 3-1 win v Wimbledon. Similar experience of seeing the pitch for the first time. And then Charlie scored twice which made my day (Hayes pen the other goal)

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Hang on. Is that GG {him, not me} doing a near post flick-on from the corner for the first goal? If so, wow, just wow. We basically won two titles cos he taught Stevie Bould how to do that. I thought Stroller had invented it - never realised Bertie Mee taught him how to do it in the first place.

We should keep doing it. I reckon Saliba could learn. Gabby and Jesus at the back post. Granit blocking the 'keeper. Best corner routine ever. {Though that ball for Cedric on the edge of the box last season was quite cool.}
    I don't think the near post corner was ever rocket science. The amazing thing with that side was the frequency with which it worked - much to do with the brilliance of Marwood's set pieces. Think we have scored a goal like this this season but Vardy provided the flick on