Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
In 2020-21, Willian played 37 times{25 in the EPL.} Gabby M played 22 {14 in the EPL.} I know he was injured for the first half of that season but Willian still got in his way later on.

Though it was really ESR whose progress was blocked by the cünt. He was playing really well in Europa that autumn/winter but didn't replace Willian in the league until we beat the Chavs 3-1 Boxing Day.

But my point was simply that we tried to buy a winger but didn't. Raphinia or whoever would probably be a much better player at this moment in time, but Marquinhos has a chance to take that place in the squad. {Just like we thought we were gonna get 2 new strikers last summer until Eddie proved he's good enough for the 2nd place. And Mo was good enough to be given another year as TP's cover meaning we can hopefully spend big on the position next summer.}

I really hope he takes it.

Btw, what did you make of Fabio V? The two touches and then the exquisite pass for the first was very encouraging. He could be another Wenger no.10. Can never have too many of those. {Just like Saliba looks like another GG centre half. And you can never have too many of those, either.}
Willian made 16 league starts - 12 before Martinelli was fit and 2 alongside him, no holding back at all. ESR wasn't held back either - he didn't play in that position then and arguably it isn't his position now. He wasn't actually featuring on the bench much either so even without Willian he probably wouldn't have got much game time. The Chelsea selection was out of the blue and arguably a massive gamble that paid for MA.

Anyway - history as you –*very impressed with Viera (and agree and Marquinos). Not sure what you mean by a Wenger No 10 as you have lumped in massively different players into that category in the past. For me, he can play in the wide positions but is much better as a deeper-lying player like Cesc (before he tried to do everything) or a David Silva - in fact Silva is the player I would say he most resembles. Very promising. Loved the first goal - great pass from FV but Eddie's run was superb. Have to be honest, I didn't see this sort if player in Eddie but clearly Arteta spotted something and there was a reason he was so keen to keep him