Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: The absolute state of the heavyweight division

The absolute state of the heavyweight division

Granted, Usyk shows some ring craft and endurance but those wispy punches seemed devoid of any real power. Joshua just looks like a bodybuilder but lacks stamina. He had Usyk in all kinds of trouble in the 9th but just ran out of steam.
    I’ve never been massively impressed by Fury but chapeau for what he’s achieved.
    Surely, Ali or Tyson, and more recently, Lewis in their prime would have made light work of this current crop ?
    I could be wearing rose tinted nostalgia specs here but I just don’t think so.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Granted, Usyk shows some ring craft and endurance but those wispy punches seemed devoid of any real power. Joshua just looks like a bodybuilder but lacks stamina. He had Usyk in all kinds of trouble in the 9th but just ran out of steam.
    Surely, Ali or Tyson, and more recently, Lewis in their prime would have made light work of this current crop ?
    I think you are right, 7. Usyk is a brilliant boxer but not a heavyweight - if Joshua had fought last September as he did on Saturday he probably would have won. Not a great fan of Fury but the way he fought against Klitschko was astonishing and he finds a way to win fights. Would like to see him take on Usyk. Probably won't happen though

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    My recommendation 7s is to not bother watching.

If you like heavyweight boxing go to youtube and watch Ali Frazier 1 or 3, Norton v Holmes - pretty much anything from the 70s and early 80s.

Nowadays it's just utter sh1te. There hasn't been a heavyweight in 10 years that a young George Foreman wouldn't have knocked out in 2 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I think you are right, 7. Usyk is a brilliant boxer but not a heavyweight - if Joshua had fought last September as he did on Saturday he probably would have won. Not a great fan of Fury but the way he fought against Klitschko was astonishing and he finds a way to win fights. Would like to see him take on Usyk. Probably won't happen though
    Bit harsh on Fury, he dismantled Wilder twice and really won the 1st fight as well. He's a level above the rest in the division

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Bit harsh on Fury, he dismantled Wilder twice and really won the 1st fight as well. He's a level above the rest in the division
    Agree - thought his fights with Wilder were ace. WES is just an old ******* living in the past