Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Terry Neill RIP

Terry Neill RIP

Arsenal manager and bar owner - what a combination.

Manager when I first started supporting Arsenal - six Irishmen in the team. Halcyon days

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post

Manager when I first started supporting Arsenal - six Irishmen in the team. Halcyon days
    Did he not have a bar near the City at one point. Around Holborn I thought, I seem to recall watching a European match there in 95/96. Rammed it was, could barely get to the bar

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Did he not have a bar near the City at one point. Around Holborn I thought, I seem to recall watching a European match there in 95/96. Rammed it was, could barely get to the bar
    Yeah - Holborn Viaduct. Used to go there for matches and it was normally packed. Went a few times on non-match nights as well. Terry loved to chat to Arsenal fans (well anyone in general really). Very nice guy

I remember a post of Herbie's from 20+ years ago, when AW had fielded a team of 11 foreigners, which caused much consternation in the press.

He said that when he'd started supporting the team, it was made up of six Paddies and one ugly Jock, managed by another Paddy.

That was my team, too. Didn't Brian Talbot start 72 games in 1979-80?

Btw, only went to Terry Neill's bar once. Watched the game away at Lazio. Pires got put free down the left and curled in the equalizer from the edge of the box to get an equalizer in the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I remember a post of Herbie's from 20+ years ago, when AW had fielded a team of 11 foreigners, which caused much consternation in the press.

He said that when he'd started supporting the team, it was made up of six Paddies and one ugly Jock, managed by another Paddy.
    For once Herbie was spot on - these things do happen
    That was my team, too. Didn't Brian Talbot start 72 games in 1979-80?
    We only played 70 but Talbot played in every one - doubt he was subbed either. Always been a big Talbot fan - remember when he scored five goals in a week against the Manchester clubs?
    Btw, only went to Terry Neill's bar once. Watched the game away at Lazio. Pires got put free down the left and curled in the equalizer from the edge of the box to get an equalizer in the last minute.
    One of my favourite goals, ever gg. Pires first for us.
    It's beautiful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBRujcVFlUc

"For once Herbie was spot on - these things do happen" Oi - watch it

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    "For once Herbie was spot on - these things do happen" Oi - watch it
    How are you, Herbie?

I am very well thank you LA - I have actually become, really rather old - just turned

How are you, Herbie?
    64! - as hard 'n handsome as ever mind. I expect you're on your third liver by now?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    64! - as hard 'n handsome as ever mind. I expect you're on your third liver by now?
    Good to hear. Surprisingly still on the first liver - stops working ever now and then but I just give it a quick punch. This clean German beer is good for me