Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Saliba - in my life, we've only won the league when we have 3 top CHs. TA-O'Leary-SB

Saliba - in my life, we've only won the league when we have 3 top CHs. TA-O'Leary-SB

TA-SB-MK, TA-MK-Sol, MK-Sol-Kolo.

After Bould left in '98, we didn't win anything for 3 years until we signed Sol.

Hopefully, this is a good sign - reports saying Saliba happy to extend his contract - and the three can learn to play with each other in any combination as with the above examples.

Many people say that we need another left-footer to cover for Gabby. But surely in the above years, we must have been playing 2 with the same foot at times. And that worked.

And shouldn't players be able to use both feet? My dad was a CH and captain of the school football team. Said he spent his free time kicking a ball against a wall with his left foot to get it up to standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    TA-SB-MK, TA-MK-Sol, MK-Sol-Kolo.

After Bould left in '98, we didn't win anything for 3 years until we signed Sol.

Hopefully, this is a good sign - reports saying Saliba happy to extend his contract - and the three can learn to play with each other in any combination as with the above examples.

Many people say that we need another left-footer to cover for Gabby. But surely in the above years, we must have been playing 2 with the same foot at times. And that worked.

And shouldn't players be able to use both feet? My dad was a CH and captain of the school football team. Said he spent his free time kicking a ball against a wall with his left foot to get it up to standard.
    Modern day football, gg. Pep (and by extension our Mikel) like a left-footed centre half. All about angles when passing out from the back.

Like the sound of your dad - I would do the same and hence would always get picked on the left. Good way to guarantee a place in the side

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Modern day football, gg. Pep (and by extension our Mikel) like a left-footed centre half. All about angles when passing out from the back.

Like the sound of your dad - I would do the same and hence would always get picked on the left. Good way to guarantee a place in the side
    Cheers, LA. Why don't we get Saliba to do what my dad did with his weaker foot?

And are you saying that in the examples I gave, they wouldn't have prospered in this day and age without a L-R combination?

If KT was fit all the time, we could just move him to L CH and play Zinny at LB. But this also means that Holding isn't 4th choice CH - which I'm more than happy with - but 3rd choice R CH. Though I guess White can cover for Tommy at RB. It's nice having an adaptable squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

And are you saying that in the examples I gave, they wouldn't have prospered in this day and age without a L-R combination?

If KT was fit all the time, we could just move him to L CH and play Zinny at LB. But this also means that Holding isn't 4th choice CH - which I'm more than happy with - but 3rd choice R CH. Though I guess White can cover for Tommy at RB. It's nice having an adaptable squad.
    GG, you appear to have posted two posts which focus on how important it is that we have multiple CBs who can use both feet.

I'd suggest that when it comes to what will decide whether or not we win the league this is pretty far down the list.

But we must be in a good position if this is what you are now worried about

Not my opinion - just seems to be the current orthodoxy. TA was definitely more comfortable as the left sided defender. I reckon he would still have done all right today

Confirmed Arteta reads my posts and is going to keep Saliba at centre half with Ben White in midfield.

It’s either that or I’m in fact Mikel Arteta and all these years I’ve been posting as “Tony”

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Not my opinion - just seems to be the current orthodoxy. TA was definitely more comfortable as the left sided defender. I reckon he would still have done all right today
    Cool. That's what I was wondering. I think they'd all have done all right.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    GG, you appear to have posted two posts which focus on how important it is that we have multiple CBs who can use both feet.

I'd suggest that when it comes to what will decide whether or not we win the league this is pretty far down the list.

But we must be in a good position if this is what you are now worried about
    It's more my desire to have 3 CBs of whom any two are as good as the alternatives. Like in every league win of my life.

I'm sort of worried that he'll only use Saliba and White on the right and will buy an understudy for Gabby.

I want it to be like 2002 when you'd get to the game and not be bothered which of TA, MK and Sol were in the starting line up. Obv you wanted TA as skipper but he was injured most of that season. The point is that we were happy with MK and Sol and no-one ever talked about feet back then.

But yes, Wes. I think things are looking up. Just need to offload the dead-wood and sign the MF alternative to Granit I've been wanting since the previous summer.

Will be nice to have some options from the bench.

Hmm Brighton interested in Tavares as a replacement for the guy they’re losing to City.

Could be a good opportunity to add Lewis Dunk to the squad.

Don’t mind him one bit as back up for Gabriel.